Chapter 2 - Despair

My breath was stuck in my throat. I wanted to scream but somehow I couldn't find my voice.

The sight before me was horrendous and revolting. I could hardly believe my eyes. My father, a respected figure, is being treated like an inanimate thing.

I struggled to keep my eyes open and not barf. I felt like I could pass out anytime.

"Bro, mission accomplished. We can head out now," the man said proudly while checking his surroundings - looking at me in the process.

When my eyes met his, I felt as if all my energy was drained away from me. His stare didn't feel like a stare of a human, it felt more like the glare of a wolf. Or more aptly, a devil.

"I guess you've taken care of the intruder?" asked his accomplice, who I suppose isn't human either.

"Yeah... She won't be able to get up for half an hour, at least. More than enough time for us to get three miles away, " he said nonchalantly.

What? They're leaving?!

No. For god's sake, I am not letting them go just like this! I can't let them continue harming more innocent people. They must be brought to justice.

In a fit of rage, I planted my hands on the ground and tried to prop myself up. But my efforts were totally in vain as the throbbing pain paralysed me. I collapsed like a puppet with its strings severed.

Meanwhile, the criminals hopped onto their horses, ready to drive off, chortling heartily at me.

Impossible. I can't be this weak! I must do something about this!

I tried to flip around and get up, but the more I tried, the more it hurt. It seemed that there was some sort of power stopping my body from obeying my mind.

Enough. Just give up. It's useless. No matter what you do, you will lose to them. There's nothing you can do about it. I didn't know why, but my mind had those thoughts all of a sudden. Negativity flooded me.

I slumped. Tears flowed from my eyes as I realised how weak I am. Compared to them, my powers are nothing. I decided to just let it be.

Suddenly, Father's voice echoed in my ears.

"Sayaka, you must remember that this power we share - The Way of the Wind- is only between us. Never show or use your powers in public. But if one day your powers are needed in emergencies...it's up to you."

'Sayaka, if one day something happens to me, you must stay strong and do what is needed."

No. I don't have any time to be depressed now. I must act immediately. I can't afford to lose another family member.

I held my breath. Ignoring my pain, I willed myself to be positive as I slowly stood up. As my shock faded slightly, my confidence returned, and my limbs didn't feel as stiff. I sheathed my sword and held out my hands.

Do it, I said to myself. It's now or never.

" Winds of the North, South, East and West, converge," I chanted. The wind around me turned into a swirling mass between my hands. I dropped the swirling wind and stepped onto it. Concentrating, I said, "Rise and propel."

Riding on the wind, I chased the cart down the narrow dirt road ahead. When I got close enough, I trailed it closely, looking for an opportunity to slip in. I waited for the cart to travel until the end of the steep dirt road where it would be safer for me to enter it.

I inhaled deeply and focused on the floorboard of the cart. I took some time to make sure I would land in the right spot. Then, I mustered my strength and jumped onto the cart while flinging the cloth covering the end of the cart open.