Chapter 10: Family Fights

"He has been gone, Cyro," Queen Cythis said, but there was no trace of begging in her voice. "At least let Ravenna go to him."

However, the Princess was not listening. She lifted her dress over her ankles and dashed down the steps, moving as if she was on the air. Aiyana was struck by how the Royals of Glacio were more like a regular family than rulers, not even referring to each other with their titles. Ravenna dove into Jason's outstretched arms, hugging him so tightly that Aiyana could make out the faint oof he released. When his sister released him, his face looked surprised as she immediately pulled Jaylyn into a tight hug, like they had grown up together.

Ravenna then turned to face the King and Queen, almost as if she was silently alleging her side. The King rolled his neck in contained fury but Aiyana could clearly see that he had a soft spot for his daughter.

"Prince Jason." Any affection the King had had for his son had clearly dissipated in his absence. "Upon your return home, you have brought only disappointment and suffering."

Jason said nothing.

"How dare you show your face here?"

Queen Cythis lay her hand on the King's arm, shooting him a warning glance that he had overstepped the line. Aiyana glanced around, noticing that all the other guards had lowered their heads, embarrassed to be a witness of the scolding of their favourite Prince. Aiyana, on the other hand, could expect information and she remained enthralled in the argument.

With a deep breath, the King said, "You knew why we made the alliance with Rova. You agreed to the marriage to Princess Zahra. Not only did you disobey me, but you also interfered with Rovan politics!"

Still, Jason remained silent and Aiyana had the suspicion that all his reprimands had to be taken without a word. Princess Jaylyn on the other hand, stared the King down, her jaw rigid. She had twitched at the sound of her sister.

The King looked back at her unflinchingly. "Then, you bring the other Princess her. If it had been Zahra, then I could have stretched my diplomatic hand. Yet, Jason, you parade in here like you are in love with her!"

Queen Cynthis examined her son from her high perch on the throne. At his father's words, he raised his head and looked at her calmly in the eye.

"I did what was right," he said.

"What is right is what is good for this nation!" King Cyro shouted, his composure slipping.

"Our country isn't always right," Jason hissed. "The Rovan Royals used magic from their own son to enchant their people to be benevolent while he forces them to fight for land that they do not care about. That sounds like slave labour."

"King Saito does not have magic. It would -"

Jason cut him off. "Not only does he force his people into poverty, he backstabs deals, plans on killing the innocent. He forced me and Princess Jaylyn to the confines of the Palace so that the public would not find out his schemes."

"And her schemes," Jaylyn whispered.

"Please speak up, Princess," the Queen commanded.

"My mother, Queen Malika, schemes too. She is the brain I believe," Jaylyn said, still quietly. "They have my sister there, the only one brave enough to go against the King, Queen and Crown Prince."

"Whether this is real or not," the King continued, "you have jeoprodised the safety of the people."

"It is not my job to protect others, despite our differences?"

The Queen nodded slowly, looking suspicious of Jason's point. Her eyes slid to Jaylyn.

"Therefore it was my duty to protect Princess Jaylyn too. The Rovans planned to marry her to the King of Nasta."