Chapter 1: Leaving this cell

Disclaimer: This takes place after Season 3 and the movie coming out in 2020, assuming some things are resolved and others aren't. This mainly focuses on the relationship between Akane, Ginoza, and Kogami. The current year is around 2120. Thanks for reading :)

Oh yeah, SPOILER WARNING!

Akane thought she'd gotten used to her cell. She constantly told herself to be grateful for her situation, to never lose hope. She kept that hope close and thought about everyone she missed. The small updates from Mika, Hinakawa, and even meetings from Chief Hosorogi, of all people, fueled her optimism. She thought she'd gotten used to it all, sure, but her heart raced and raced the night she received a report that her trial was being processed.

It was a terrifying feeling.

She'd have never imagined things turning out this way, the current clashes with Bifrost, all the people lost to these domino battles. It was frightening but fueling at the same time. Just knowing that Kogami was back in Japan was enough. She wasn't surprised, she knew things would change and the rights of latent criminals would improve. The very forming of SAD proved that. She was ready to be back out on the front lines.

A few weeks after Akane's trial was processed, the old school way, she received a phone call from Sibyl.
She'd been sleeping on her cot when the familiar ping rang out from her laptop.

Akane groggily sat up and stared at the number.

Sibyl.

She reluctantly answered the call.

"Tsunemori Akane," the AI voice spoke out.

The hairs on her neck stood up.

"What do you want?" She whispered.

"After much deliberation, we have decided to make a deal with you. Throughout the trial, and after, it has been clear the backdoor decisions you made had a positive impact on Division 1."

She stayed silent and cocked an eyebrow.

"We cannot just wipe free the debt as your actions have caused large complications, but we're willing to give you a degree of freedom as someone of your stature compliments our society." The voice continued.

"What are you trying to tell me?" Akane spoke stiffly, straightening her back and narrowing her eyes at the screen.

"We can offer you freedom outside this cell, but we will not protect you any further. Any rebellion and you will be dealt with." It stated.

Akane took a quiet breath. She expected this.

"I will do whatever is necessary for society, for the people. My decisions will never be for you," She calmly responded.

She stayed calm, but her heart raced.

"We will see you at the end of this then." The voice stated, and then abruptly hung up.

Akane sighed and looked out in front of her. She was so close to being free. Just a little longer.
**

3 days later.

Akane had packed all her things, prepared to be finally let out. She didn't pack to strictly, however, as they hadn't given her a clear date as to when she'd be released.

It made her nervous, she paced around the room, did push-ups and sit-ups. She did anything to distract herself but it was difficult.

Akane had been trying to stay in shape but there wasn't much to do inside. Her hair grew out to her shoulders, she lost 10 pounds. She stayed healthy in the beginning, but it was taking a long time to receive justice.