Too Much Love Will Kill You

~~

Peggy parked her old, beat-up Buick in front of Hercules' house. It looked like every other house in Runako, but cleaner than we both had imagined. "You're insane if you think I'm staying in the car."

I unbuckled my seatbelt (safety first, bitches) and opened the passenger door. "Okay, but you're insane if you think you can change my mind if what I think is true."

"I hate to burst your bubble," Peggy said, "but I don't think Laf killed himself."

I shrugged as she followed me to the front door. There was no sign of a doorbell, so I knocked three times and took a step back, waiting for someone to answer. After what felt like a minute or two, Peggy decided to knock again, but harder and louder this time. Before she could finish her third knock, the door swung open.

There Hercules stood, wearing a plain black t-shirt and blue jeans. His mouth was full of what looked like potato chips. He looked pretty cleaned up, aside from the food falling out of his mouth. A football game was playing on the tv in the background. "What?" he spat, a few crumbs landing at my feet.

"Uh, hi," I said, slightly disgusted by the man that stood in front of me. "It's me, Alexander Hamilton, um we used to be friends a few years ago."

"I know who you are," he said after swallowing.

"Oh, great. Well, uh, I was wondering, if you're up to it, I mean, if you're not busy or anything-"

"Can we come in?" Peggy interjected, wasting no time at all.

Hercules scanned the both of us up and down, before turning and allowing us inside. "Sure, just don't sit on the recliner. I dropped some nacho cheese on it the other day and never cleaned it up."

The outside of Herc's house definitely did not match the inside. There were empty soda cans and chip bags covering the coffee table, and a strange, yellow stain above the tv. There weren't any pictures or area rugs or knickknacks to personalize the room. It was just plain. Disgusting, but plain.

Peggy and I took a seat on the couch next to each other, while Hercules sat on the arm of the stained recliner. "Do you live here by yourself?" I asked.

Hercules breathes a heavy sigh, one that had a story behind it. "Yeah, I do. But I don't wan'na get into that." There was a short moment where none of us spoke. Peggy and I looked around at the room, taking in our surroundings until Herc asked the dreaded question. "Not that I don't want the company or anything, but what brings you's here?"

I looked over at Peggy, silently pleading for her to start the conversation, but she turned her nose away. "I'm not the one who wants to know so badly."

"Know what?" Herc asked before the lightbulb in his head went off. "Look, if this is about Lafayette, I really don't wan'na talk about it."

"So you know what happened to him?" Maybe my suspicions had been correct after all. "You two were soulmates, right?"

If looks could kill, Hercules would have definitely killed me in that moment. "I said I won't talk about it. Now, if that's all you wanted from me, I'm gon'na have to ask you to leave."

Hercules stood and started towards the door, me and Peggy in tow. "Please," I begged, "I need to know if he killed himself!"

Peggy grabbed my shoulders and pulled me away from the fuming Hercules, who was now standing still. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. He doesn't know-"

"He fucking killed himself for me, okay!" Hercules whipped around, shouting. His voice cracked and he fell to a soft whimper. I could see the pain in his eyes as they became glossy. "Are you happy now?"