thirteen

chapter thirteen

《》

     OPENING UP TO LEVI HAD been hard but it was a pretty great decision. It made him understand me more, it brought us slightly closer and the thought of him being near me didn't make me as terrified as before. I trusted him a little more now that he knew what I had gone through the year prior to us meeting.

     A week after I explained everything to him, I had to go home to see my parents. The holidays were only weeks away but my brother, Kevin, was getting remarried and he wanted me there. Even I wanted to be there for him because unlike the first wedding, he was happy and excited to actually be getting married. To say I was happy for him would have been an understatement.

     Canada was very different from London but I had grown up there and no matter where I went, it was still my home and I loved it. Snow hadn't started yet but gray clouds filled the sky and created a dark blanket over our small city. It was so good to be home and nothing felt more right at the moment.

     For dinner, my parents, brother, his kid, fiancee, her kid, and I sat at the table and engaged in small talk that I preferred over deep conversation.

     "So Madelyn," Kevin's fiancée, Candace, started as she smile brightly at me. "How is school going? Grades? Cute guys?" Candace was smiling showing off her white teeth and pushing some dark locks from her face.

     Smiling, my mind shifted to how well school had been going. Not only had I managed to get my grades back on track, I had met Levi and he was basically an embodiment of perfection. After telling him everything that happened to me, he had come to my dorm the next day with some flowers, chocolate and ice cream just because he thought I would like them. And he respected my choice not to kiss again while still showing clear interest. I had found a great guy.

     "Everything is going really great, actually." I said with a grin. "Grades are great, my best friend Lex is great and I even met someone."

     The way everyone froze and looked at me was kind of terrifying but I trusted that Levi was the greatest guy I could find and I would convince them to relax.

     "Is he cute?" Anabelle, Kevin's daughter, asked and I began to blush.

     Anabelle was no more than seventeen but sometimes I talked to her about boys--- more of her talking to me about the numerous boys she went out with. Either way, I knew we would be spending the evening going on about boys before bed.

     Choosing not to answer, I simply sent her a mischievous smile and I knew she understood it well enough.

     "You should bring him over for the holidays." My dad suddenly spoke, the sides of his eyes wrinkling as he smiled. "We would all love to meet him."

     "He might be going home but I'll try my hardest to have him over." I said but I knew I was only lying. It was terrifying, inviting him over. Not only hadn't we solidified anything, I feared that my parents would disapprove and their opinion mattered so much to me.

     "Great," my mother said and got up soon. "Dessert is on the way. Maddie dear, please come give me a hand."

     Nodding, I got up and followed her to the kitchen. The fresh smell of blueberry pie filled the room and I blissfully took in the aroma. My mum quickly began to get the pies from the oven and I rushed over to give her a hand and put them on the kitchen island. They looked amazing.

     "This boy," she slowly started. "What's his name?" She asked effortlessly while preparing the plates and forks.

     "Levi Moore. He's actually from the UK but lives in Leeds not London." I explained.

     "Is he a nice guy?"

     "Honestly the best I've ever met," I quickly said, stars in my eyes as I thought of him. "I recently opened up about Reed to him."

     It was hard to miss the way she froze for a brief moment before turning and looking in my eyes. "Was that a good idea?"

     "I think so. He deserves to know and he took it very well." I told her truly believing what I said.

     "Just be carefully, dear." She said and kissed my forehead. "I love you."

     Smiling, I nodded. "I love you too."

*