chapter one

dixie 'baby' sawyer

dixie 'baby' sawyer

    "Are yinz serious! Yinz won't let Dixie play because she has a fainting problem? She's one of the best players out there!"

   Dixie Sawyer stood outside the huge conference room in the most fanciest hockey rink the young girl has ever seen, listening to her mother and step father argue with the 'directors' of the Junior Olympics. Her best friend Bonnie Dixon sat by the girls side. She went with her everywhere, constantly making sure her friend was okay. Dixie always joked that she was her bodyguard. Their friendship was cute to everyone around them.

  "Look, Mrs. Dawson, your daughter is a really talented player and we would love to have her on the team," the girls heard Mr. Tibbles speak.

    Dixie bit her lip out of nervousness, leaning up from the uncomfortable wall. She traveled over to the wooden bench on the other side of the door, plopping herself down on it. The bench creaked which caused the girl to jump. She let out a sigh. Her friend laughed. A small smile crept onto Dixie's pale freckle covered face.

    "Then why isn't she on the team?" Mr. Dawson snapped, his southern accent strong. The room became silent. There was shuffling of paper before more silence.

     The girl in the hall leaned forward, placing her elbows on top of her thighs, and her chin in her hands. She closed her eyes and hummed.

    "What if she faints during a game and gets hurt?" Mr. Adams spoke up. The young blonde girl had no idea who the man was, but she knew that he was important, and that she didn't like him. She could tell her parents didn't like him either, nor her best friend. He didn't seem like a well-liked guy.

    "Honey, she knows when she's going to faint. She can immediately excuse herself from the game and someone can take her place. It's not that hard. We've been doing this for years, Mr. Adams!" Mrs. Dawson argued. She would fight as hard as she could for her daughter and she wouldn't give up until she got something out of it. Usually it was what she wanted, but other times, whoever she'd be fighting with would tend to start feeling guilty and she'd get more out of it.

   Dixie Sawyer has been fainting out of the blue for years now. She had played hockey since she could walk, and it had never stopped her before. Never. She knew when she was going to faint. She would get a pain that felt unbearable in her shoulder, and her left foot would twitch in an odd way. She could easily catch herself before anything happened. She played it the safe way.

    "We just don't want her getting hurt," Mr. Tibbles said. Dixie let out yet another sigh, this time full of defeat.

   Team USA Hockey tryouts have been going on for around a month now in Washington DC. Dixie thought it was an odd place to have it, but she didn't mind. She just wanted to play hockey. The board was down to seven final players. However, they only need six and the young girl was part of that seven. It was between her, and a kid named Austin Hyde from Wisconsin. The seven of them were all friends. They all got super close the past two weeks. Especially Julie Gaffney and Dixie, considering that they were the only girls on the team. But Austin didn't seem to be a fan favorite.