[four.] young and beautiful

[ young and beautiful ]

. . .

au
a flower learning how
to bloom by itself

. . .

APHRODI was no more than six when he noticed the waves of hushed yet thrilled whispers spreading in the air whenever he walked through the halls in the quietest way he could. He could always feel the heavy weight of people's brightened gazes burning on his whole body, as though he was an auctioned item, deserving observation and attention.

The way he's treated in public always gave him an eerie sensation and it ripened the unease deep in his stomach. He often complained to his parents regarding the issue, asking them why his classmates keep touching his hair, his face, and his hands, or why he's given special treatment by the teachers.

His parents, who were unfeeling and cold, would frequently dismiss his words with a wave of a hand, calling him names like needy or ignorant. They'd tell him to ignore it, man up, and continue with his learnings.

There was only one thing important to them, and that was Aphrodi becoming a successful man.

And Aphrodi, being the obedient child he is, listened to them.

Without question.

&

APHRODI was eight when he witnessed a girl he wasn't acquainted with claw another girl, whom he was talking to.

He could only stand and watch as she pulled the other's hair harshly, with tears flowing endlessly on her cheeks. "How dare you!" She cried out, "I told you he's mine!"

He was frozen in his spot, not even moving an inch when other girls joined in the fighting, defending either one of the girls and screaming at each other on the top of their lungs.

That afternoon, his parents were informed about the conflict.

"This is bad," Aphrodi heard his father say with a shake of his head. "Our son is too good-looking for his own good. At this rate, he'll never be able to finish school."

"No," his mother retorted, her voice strict and firm. "There's still a chance. We'll be sending him to an all-boys school. We'll be watching him 24/7, and we'll make sure there will be no interruptions in his studies."

"Wait, honey, won't that mean we'll be imprisoning him?"

"Imprisoning him? Nonsense! This is for his own good. I don't want other women brainwashing him. Not just women but everybody he meets. He'll be a failure if this keeps up."

"But—"

"No. My word is final. We will watch Terumi at all times, got it?"

Aphrodi was eight when his freedom had been stolen away.

&

APHRODI was fourteen when he first kicked a soccer ball up in the air. He didn't mean to initially, but it all just happened so quickly.