Sine x equals

Mia's P.O.V

Life.
I still can not make sense of it,
Or why I still have it

But what I do understand is this,
Life is full of surprises.
Like the taste of hospital food.

"Broccoli juice for my ever charming patient." The nurse, Ngila, places some absurd-looking green drink before me. I mentally snort.

Ok, there's no way I'm drinking that.

An eye roll later, though, I've downed two glasses and asked for another. Ya, it's that good.

She tells me to rest. I do, drowning my body pains with slumber. The stab wound was not the only issue. I had an infection on my swollen side, which led to another night in the hospital undergoing treatment.

I guess that's the only benefit of being stabbed - I could have died someday without knowing why.

Aunt Lisa comes around later. She watches me from my window, deflated, her eagerness to get out palpable.

Suddenly, the doctor steals her from sight, probably to give her the good news that I should be out in two days.

My eyes close, then, for the briefest moment, flutter open. I snatch the bucket under the bed, immediately throwing up.

Remorse floods my face, but Ngila smiles, taking the bucket from me. "Rest, dear."

Yet, I don't even get two hours of sleep before Aunt Lisa comes in, glaring at me. I shut my eyes, pretending to be asleep, when she plops down on the chair by my bed. There's an awkward silence as her eyes remain on me, making me squirm within.

Why are you looking at me like I have ruined your life?!

*

The two days flash by in a blink, so soon that I question my readiness for the outside world.

Since I refused to explain how I got stabbed, Lisa took it upon herself to conjure a story for any authority who may ask. I don't mind. I do not need to ask what the story is, and she seems too distracted to humour me. In fact the only time she talks to me is when she gets a call from the school, and then barges into my room to inform me that despite the doctor's orders, I better prepare for school.

Oh and- No, I do not want to go to school. I don't think I can stand people's stares and whispers if they got a good look at me when I was on the stretcher. The likelihood of that terrifies me.

However, according to Aunt Lisa, there is some kind of standard assessment examination for all students in the next two weeks, and I've already wasted a week of school; further absenteeism will be detrimental to my grades.

So, on Tuesday, I muster up the courage to cycle to school. When I enter the hallways, everything seems so different. Posters about suicide and seeking help have been mounted everywhere.

My mind shuts them out as I pull my hoodie over my head.

*

Luckily for me, none of my classmates paid attention to me,  maybe except one girl in my French class who kept staring at me, clearly itching to ask if I was the girl who stabbed herself because my orange hair gave me away.