Episode Thirty-Six: Ends

"I believe that somewhere out there, there is a world at peace. That's enough to keep me going."
-Michelle

TEMPEST

Sometimes I still have nightmares about Yuri, but Neo keeps me calm through the night. With a baby on the way, I need to do anything I can to stay calm. 

We've moved back to Hicksmon, where both our families are from. It's a nice place to raise a kid, Es says. She doesn't live here anymore. She's in Petra with Milo, studying to be a leader now. She's definitely earned the right to be a leader in my book.

She visited last month for my baby shower, though. It was nice to see her. It was the first time since Neo and my wedding. She said something funny then that I think about any time I need to counter my worrisome thoughts about Yuri.

She said, "I feel gratitude sometimes."

I laughed and asked, "Care to elaborate?"

She wasn't trying to be funny, though. She looked very serious. "Sometimes I feel like I'm being thanked. Like the universe is thanking me, or maybe the universe Yuri saved is thanking me. Or maybe someone in particular from that universe is thanking me."

"I have no idea what you're talking about," I said.

"It's this warmth that comes over me. It feels like peace and comfort. It feels like someone out there is sending me a message of gratitude and it washes over me, and I can feel them having a better life than we did."

"What are they teaching you out there?" I joked.

She laughed at me, but then said, "I'm being serious. I want you to know that and be open to that feeling because I know how hard it was to see Yuri die, but... his death saved millions. I can feel it."

Now as I curl into the crook of Neo's arm and try to fall asleep, I think about that, and a warmth falls over me too. It's probably from the literal warmth coming off of Neo's body or my changing hormones messing with me, but I imagine for a moment that it's that gratitude Es told me about. 

So I whisper, "you're welcome," into the night air. 

And I wonder if anyone from that other universe will ever hear it across all the space between us.

THE END

After three years of posting short chapters here and there, All the Space Between Us is finally a completed novel. 

Thank you for reading this DEATHLESS TRILOGY universe book. I hope you enjoyed it! 

Follow me for updates on the publication of THE DEATHLESS TRILOGY.