⭐in your ear // ryan met

YOU WERE SITTING IN THE SOUND BOOTH of a Minnesota arena

YOU WERE SITTING IN THE SOUND BOOTH of a Minnesota arena. You couldn't remember its name, but that was of very little importance to you—your focus was on your boyfriend Ryan, who was soundchecking with his brothers for the AJR show that night. The dates and places of shows tended to blur a little in your mind and you found yourself a little bored at times, despite loving the opportunity to see your boyfriend do what he loved every night. Jack finished playing "Dear Winter," and the sound guy, Drew, began prepping another mic to be checked. You knew from seeing the process time after time that it was Ryan's keyboard, and you grinned to yourself at the idea that sprung into your mind.

As soon as Ryan had finished pressing out the notes of "Netflix Trip," you tapped Drew on the shoulder. "Hey, would it be a bother if I used this?" you asked, indicating a loose headset lying on the ground in a bunch of cable.

"Nah, go for it," Drew shrugged, knowing you had experience with sound equipment. (You had met Ryan at a show you were working and everyone knew about it. Yes, you were that couple.) "They need me on stage for a few—something about speaker placement."

"Thanks," you answered, and smiled to yourself as you watched your boyfriend continue to play the keyboard quietly. Reaching down, you grabbed the headset and put it on, setting it to the channel that held just Ryan's earpiece. "Hi, cutie pie," you spoke into the mouthpiece, giggling.

Ryan's head shot up, looking around himself in momentary confusion before looking up at the sound booth. You, however, had already ducked out of sight. There was an open circle towards the bottom of the booth which you used to see his reaction.

"You sounded really good," you giggled. "As always. And speaking of good—your hair looks stunning." You watched as his hand instinctively went to the mentioned feature, smile spreading across his face as his eyes traveled around the arena in hopes of locating you. His brows furrowed slightly with concentration, and you added a comment of how cute he looked while doing so.

"Where are you?" You heard his voice from your hiding spot and giggled.

"Well, you're cold right now." He moved a few steps forward.

"Warmer."

He began moving to jump off the stage, only to be yelled at by Jack.

"Dude, where are you going?"

"Uh, nowhere," you heard in your headset. "Just walking around—my legs are still kinda stiff from the bus."

Jack nodded in sympathy. "I feel ya," he said, and turned back around to talk to one of the video techs. Ryan continued on his search.

He tried moving a bit to each side, to which you giggled a nope into the mic. Eventually, he caught on and started heading toward the booth where you were still crouched.

"Keep going, honey!" you spoke, and his smile grew even wider. He was getting close now, and you spoke more quietly in order to prolong your concealment.

"How about now," he said, coming to a stop right in front of your eyes.

"Really hot," you said popping up. "Surpr—"

But before the word made it out of your mouth, he was kissing you—soft yet insistent, loving but intentional. After a few moments, he pulled away, your noses still touching. His hair brushed your forehead as he whispered, just as quietly as you had seconds ago—

"You're really hot."

You smiled and closed your eyes, eskimo kissing him and stealing a chuckle from deep in his throat. His next words sent your heart reeling into even more of a tailspin.

"I love you, I just—how the hell did I get so lucky?" You knew the curse served as a way to emphasize his words, not cheapen them.

"I love you too, honey. I'm so proud of you—" and you were kissing again, softer this time, more breathing in the other person than actively moving.

For the millionth time, Jack started yelling about the two of you "getting hanky-panky." And for the millionth time, you and Ryan rolled your eyes and went on with it.

Jack's mic wasn't on, anyway.