8: Hope is a seed that grows even in the barest of lands

With puffy, red eyes Callia looks out the window to see that morning has come and passed; the flood of tears she let loose the day before, along with a long sleep, had a therapeutic effect. As such, the events of the last days feel distant to her.

That is, until she checks her phone to find a plethora of messages from Agatha.

'I'm so sorry! I didn't realize!'
'Mona says you're pulled from the case if that's any comfort. You won't have to deal with him, I promise!'

'Holy Moons! She held my hand for twelve seconds!'

'I have bad news...'
'The case is now, as of seven minutes ago, aligned with attempted-murder... Turns out the florist's assistant was seeing the driver's daughter. It's kind of complicated. If you want, I can explain in more details when you come in tomorrow.'

Attempted-murder! Callia's mind runs free with the implications. Werewolf law dictates, in cases of attempted or successful murders, that representation of parties by pack leaders is a declaration of war.

The possibility of war is a scary option, but even more fearsome is the idea of her unconscious mate not being represented. Before these thoughts can develop further, a new message come through:

'I'm on my lunch break, wanna meet for food?'

Callia responds affirmatively and rushes to dress, wanting to question her friend and coworker. Once she gets to their usual meeting place, Agatha is willing to share. "I went to the driver and once I mentioned his daughter, the story just came all out: he confessed."

"To what?"

"The daughter was disappearing on evenings, several times a week. He followed her once and she went to the florist's shop. The conclusion, it seemed, was easy: after each excursion she was all smiles and dreamy. He thought she was seeing your... mate, a man twice her age."

Callia clenched her fists. "Is that why Jeffrey was run over?" When Agatha nods solemnly, the blonde decides she wants to Broadshoulder over with his silver-spiked car. "Is Kenan going to follow through?"

"No, he's withdrawn, and so has your ex-Alpha." Agatha looks at her partner knowingly. "No one has yet stepped up to represent your mate. Even if you have chosen different paths in life, would you like to represent him?"

She wants to think she's doing it out of purpose but, not so deep down, she knows it's out of hope that she says 'Yes.'

Fifteen minutes later, she curses herself because she still doesn't know if he's seeing someone.