Chapter 03 - Crept

"I'm home."

"Welcome home, Shin-chan."

Same words, same meaning, yet for Kita, it felt so different.

Upon his arrival, he saw L/n's bicycle parked and knew that she was in the house, but he did not expect her to be the one welcoming him back. Aside from that...

"What?" her voice interrupted his thoughts. "You look like you've seen a ghost even though I'm a stray fox," she told him as she set the table for breakfast.

"Where did you get your uniform?" he asked the one thing that surprised him this early in the morning.

"This?" she looked at her clothes which were paired with black tights instead of knee-length socks before chuckling. "Don't worry. I didn't kill anyone to have this," she merrily dodged his question even though she could see how determined he was to know the answer.

"Oh. Shin-chan, welcome home," his grandmother warmly greeted him as she walked from behind. "F/n-chan was kind enough to cook us breakfast. Such a lovely girl she is."

L/n giggled at the old woman's remark. "It's my way of saying thank you for all the warm greetings that give to me every morning, Granny," she told her then looked at the captain, "and for letting me join you in your morning runs, Shin-chan."

"Again with the first name," he thought to himself as he noticed the familiarity that she seemed to have towards him. "I have to go and change clothes," he told the two women before taking his leave.

Not long after that, the three of them were having breakfast together. The meal consisted of rice, tamagoyaki, pan-cooked fish and an instant miso soup which can be bought from any convenience store nearby. Despite that, Granny praised L/n's cooking for being delicious. The lovely old woman also teased her that she would make a great wife for her dear grandson, while the grandson himself was just there, silently listening as he eat.

After eating and washing the dishes, Kita finally head out to school.

"So... Did you like it?" L/n broke the silence as she was walking beside him and her bicycle. "My cooking, I mean," she added to clear what she meant.

The captain nodded. "It was good," he honestly answered and he could see how her e/c eyes sparkled.

"I'm so happy to hear that," she told him as her smile was supporting her statement like a solid evidence.

"So now you're gonna follow me to school?" he asked her as he averted his gaze, back into the road in front of him.

"Yup! I'll be creeping up on you, Shin-chan," she teased.

Seconds flew by quietly before Kita finally asked, "Who really are you?"

"Me? I'm L/n F/n!"

"Is that even you're real name?"

"Of course, it is! I exist, ya know!"

"Yeah, I can see that," he quietly remarked.

"Right now, I'm here with you, walking with you, talking with you just like a normal high school girl would," she added.

"If you really are just like a normal high school girl," he referred to her earlier statement, "then why do you claim yourself to be a stray fox?" he asked.

"It's because I am a stray fox, Shin-chan," she answered. "Gosh, you still don't believe me after all this time."

"I simply don't get it," he told her. "To me, you look and you act like a human rather than what you are claiming to be. In the first place, what is a stray fox?"