DBD | chapter 6

Chapter 6:

What do I do now?

Another crack of lightening shot across the sky.

"A fight you can't put up," it snickered. I was in the back seat of the car, which visibly crushed by the creature which had begun making its way back toward me. It hissed and craned its neck. Its black eyes never once wavered away from me, never blinked, never moved.

Cassie's eyes were wide as she watched me cowering in fear as creature came ready to devour. Distracted, a bladed arm struck her across the abdomen and flung her to the floor.

"Cassie!" I yelped. Cody's dodged his attention to Cassandra who laid on the floor, still trying to defend himself with a battle between two. She slowly brought her back up and began sending bursts of honey glow to the monster that came closer to me. Weakly she stood back on her two feet and began hurling powerful blows all over.

Thomas moved his body with ease like a trained performance. His attention directly focused on taking down his target, sensing every move and meeting it with precise shots. He grabbed the monster by its white blade, snapping it off where it met flesh. With a cry of agony it whipped its tail around to strike him, but Thomas had grabbed it, wrapping it tight around its hand to draw it in closer. With one last jab, Thomas impaling it with its own body–the sharp bone that was once apart of it.

I took shallow breaths. The blood was quickly washed away by the rain. Thomas smiled with satisfaction.

He locked view with the one that was still on me. Quickly, he flipped back, snatching its head between legs and moving to holster onto its back. His arms tensed as he seized its jaw, forcing it to open wider and wider, placing his fingers deeper into its mouth avoiding the teeth. Cassandra shifted over to Thomas, her magic encasing all around him as he continued to rip the monster open.

I glanced over at Cody who had repeated Thomas' method of self impaling. They rain did nothing to hide the exhaustion that fell over his face as he surveyed the two monsters at his feet.

"Jamie," Cassandra called, looking like she would fold over in an instant. She limped her way toward me, taking seat in front of me and cupping my cheeks into her cold hands. "Eyes stay shut," she stressed, taking a shaky breath. Both our bodies shook as she weakly squeezed my hand. The rain continued outside and began to soften compared to the downpour that was moments before.

"I-" but before I could finish my pitiful apology and explanation Thomas stopped me. 

"It's okay," he said, moving in beside me and gently placing a hand on my arm. Cassandra closed her eyes and nodded her head, leaning back in the seat. Cody made his way toward the driver seat and peered back at us. His eyes seemed almost sunk in and the enthusiastic character I had met this morning had dulled away. I wondered if he would be like this all the time. 

"We can't go to the safe house now," Cassie stated. She sighed and motioned for Cody to continue back from where we came. "We have to go to your aunt margo, Jamie." 

---

The sky had suddenly stopped in it gloomy endeavor by the time we exited the beaten vehicle; however, a car with a broken windshield, sunken in roof, and long scratch running up and down the side were surprisingly the least of my problems right now. 

Cassandra brushed her hair back her pale hands, her earrings caught up into her mess of damp waves as she tried make herself presentable. She grabbed the inside of her t-shirt and began wiping the smudged mascara from under her eyes, only to make it worse. She grabbed Cody by the shoulders and began spiking his hair up and wiping the blood from his cheek. She turned to do the same to Thomas who quickly turned away from her, glaring.