ρяєℓυ∂є

the first time ronald speirs saw buttercup rodriquez was d-day+2. she was sat outside one of the trucks, smoking a cigarette and reading a book. the moon was bright, and yet he still wondered how on earth she could see. speirs knew nothing of the girl, he sat next to her and she stared at him with cow eyes, before commenting: "nice weather isn't it?"
"i don't know. is it?" he lit up a cigarette with his zippo and leaned back against the wall.
"yeah, don't be rude to the weather sir. what's the weather ever done to you?" her cigarette dangled, immobile, from her mouth and ron shook his head. she stood up, saluted him, and ambled away.

the next time he saw her, he'd saved her from a german in bastogne. she thanked him absentmindedly, as if she didn't understand how close to being shot she was. tilting her head, she asked where she knew him from. he reminded her of d-day. "oh yeah, you're the fella who didn't think the weather was nice. i mean... you'd kill for normandy right now, huh? so i was right." she made a move to walk away, but speirs clasped her forearm. "what's your name trooper?"
"technician 4th grade rodriquez sir. i'm an engineer. what bout you?"
"lieutenant ronald speirs."
"sure is nice to meet you."