iv | ❝ she's adorable ❞

namjoon's heart tugged as soon as their eyes met

"..hyung?"

it was like time froze as their eyes locked onto one another. it was surreal, almost heart wrenching, as all the memories from his teenage years seokjin was sure he had suppressed pushed up to the surface and engulfed him.

as much as his heart denied it, seokjin wished he'd never see the man again. to him, kim namjoon was the one who got away, who slipped from his grasp, shattering his heart as he went. he was not ready to met the man who had been; and even though he would never acknowledge it, still was; the love of his life.

he was surprised as he managed to find his voice, just strong enough to murmur a soft, "namjoon."

namjoon sucked in a breath, his grip tightening on the umbrella as he tried to control his overwhelming emotions. his voice was just as silky and smooth as he remembered it to be, and although it had been many years since he last saw seokjin, he was just as beautiful as he was at eighteen.

it went silent, neither knowing what to say, their thoughts swirling around their heads.

"appa, appa!"

a small voice squealed not far away, slicing the silence between them.

namjoon watched with wide and curious eyes as a little girl ran up and attached herself to seokjin's leg. namjoon noticed how she had seokjin's eyes and plump lips.

oh.

"appa, who is he?" she asked curiously, tugging at the end of seokjin's coat.

seokjin still seemed dazed, his words stuck in his throat as he watched his first love and current world interact.

namjoon crouched down to the girl's eye level, a small smile appearing on his lips and exposing his dimples.

"hi! i'm namjoon!"

at that the little girl's eyes sparkled as she giggled and gingerly leaned over to poke his dimples.

"namjoon.." she said sweetly. "hi, i'm areum!" she waved happily.

namjoon chuckled. "it's nice to meet you, areum."

"yay, we can be friends now!"

seokjin seemed to snap out of his daze as he cleared his throat and ran a hand over areum's head, his eyes filled with melancholy.

"sweetheart, why don't you run and grab your bag? we have to go to your eomma's and you're making cakes today remember?"

"yay, cakes!" she squealed and ran to grab her pink bag which lay on the bench not far from where they stood.

at the mention if eomma, namjoon can't help but glance at seokjin's left hand to see any glimmers of light reflecting from any jewellery.

nope, no ring.

"sorry, she's a big people person," seokjin said, smiling slightly. "wants to make friends with everyone."

namjoon laughed, "she's adorable."

they both turned and areum walked up to them, her boots squeaking. "is namjoon coming with us, appa?" she asked her father with wide eyes.

seokjin hesitated slightly before he shook his head, "no, baby."