Prologue | Origin of the Knight

Deep Within Time: Origin of the Knight

By: Aphrodisia Casablancas

•••

The night was cold and dark, yet the stars that sat with the moon said otherwise. The silver crescent has encountered several gems chasing each other above a castle who contradicts the stern darkness that enveloped the sky. Opposing the chill was a beautiful woman with gold eyes, shinning when the light hits the iris, combing her Little Girl's hair who sat atop a bench in front of an aureate vanity mirror. On the glass's surface, clear as the sky was the Princess's reflection. Black hair, purple eyes, rosy cheeks pressed against her small hands.

"Mahiah, would you mind sitting up straight?" Eyes half-hooded, she straightened her back and leveled her chin for the sake of not having a bad hair before she sleeps. She was already pouting and crossing her arms, wanting to jump on her sheets and drift into a deep nap.

"Mother, can you tell me a story?" Mahiah yawned in almost every word she had spoken. The Princess had a tiring day running along the corridors, playing chase with her brother like any normal kid.

The Empress Milena kissed her Little Girl's forehead and asked, "Your favorite?" Mahiah's pouting lips suddenly turned up into a small curve, yet her eyes remained cowling at the mention of her favorite story. She simply cannot get her mind out of it!

"Off you go, Little Dove." Her mother patted her back, then she started running to her bed, foot steps echoing like horse hooves in the middle of a cavalry match.

"Ready!" The Empress giggled when she saw her daughter sprawled on the bed, eyes directed to the ceiling as she wait for her favorite tale.

Milena was about to take a step when a knock disrupted the peace inside the room. The knobs twisted open and there peered two heads-one belongs to the Emperor, the other was the Crown Prince's. Dmitri catapulted towards Milena with his lashes almost clasping together, enclosing his mother's waist between his small arms to say good night.

"Father!" Before the Archer hits the bull's-eye, Mahiah was already in her father's arms having a good time.

"Mother, may I sleep? I feel like I should not disturb their jubilee." Darting her gaze towards the small prince, Milena was chuckling to herself as she watch her little boy clinging on her waist, lashes touching his delicate cheeks.

"Higher, Father! Higher!" Mahiah's tiny screams was filling the room while young Dmitri was covering his ears to endure the high, irritating pitches of a five year-old.

"Mother...." Dmitri looked up, the poor boy had bloodshot eyes due to the exhaustion of running along the wide halls.

"Come here, my boy." Milena gathered her little boy in her arms and placed his head on her shoulder to avoid the possibility of an upcoming tantrum. She bobbed to comfort her seven year-old.

"Mahiah, time for-" The chase between Demetrios-the Emperor-and Mahiah was immediately cut off by Milena's scolding.

"Demetrios, I believe your son wants to sleep, so could you please quiet down before one of you trips!" The Princess' face fell, her eyes stayed on the ground, and fingers twiddling above her chest.

"Sorry, Mother." She looked up, and rushed towards Milena. Now, Mahiah replaced her brother from his recent spot. Milena's lips turned up for a smile, and caressed her daughter's hair.

"Milena." Her gold eyes met her husband's purple ones when he called. Milena's brow flew up in an instant. "Milena...," he said, drawling.

Milena stood there, eyeing her husband as he continued apologizing. "Childish, Demetrios. Childish." Milena took Mahiah's hand and tucked her children under the soft, wool blanket. As she straightened the crease, a set of strong arms enclosed her waist.