-1-

✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

WORD COUNT: 1019

✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

THE WHEELER FAMILY of Hawkins, Indiana were very rich.

They were a classic (which is just a nice way to say they were cliche) rich family.

Ted Wheeler Worked tirelessly every day for the last 30 years or so. He always looked tired, never looked like he cared much about anything in particular. He was just kind of- there.

Karen Wheeler, his wife, was younger. Prettier. "out of his league"- and completely perfect for him.

The perfect housewife who made the best pies, the ideal PTA mother.

The kind of mother who would ground you if you were even three minutes late to your curfew because '"you should've called to let me know, I was worried sick!" The perfect, dreadfully boring and awfully overbearing housewife.

The Wheelers had three kids: the classic two girls and a boy.

Nancy, their eldest, finished Hawkins High as valedictorian. She was beautiful, smart, never arose any trouble (that her mom was aware of).

She had a rich boyfriend of her own (who she actually loved, unlike her mother), and was studying English in a good university far away. She had gotten out of that hopeless cycle she was born in, and managed to find a life of her own without disappointing her parents.

Holly was the youngest.

She was the picture book definition of a kindergartner- blonde pigtails, red dresses. She was mommy's baby, always carried around on her hands and getting whatever she pleased.

She was a cute in that two front teeth missing kind of way, and everyone could see that one day she would be a beautiful young woman.

Mike was between the two girls. He was the "black sheep" of the family- every family has got to have one. He was kind of a nerd, he had some moods where he was down and yelled at everyone- But even he got good grades, never got in trouble. A good, normal 17 year old.

Never gotten in trouble- that is, until now.

✴ ⁕ ✴ ⁕ ✴

Mike, very stupidly, had gotten caught "destructing school property" meaning he had graffitied the bathroom stalls.

Mrs. Wheeler had been called from jazzercise class to the principal's office, and from the look she was giving him Mike knew he was toast. Mike made himself smaller in the seat, terrified. His mom had never had to go to the principle's office before, except for some award Nancy had gotten.

This was very different. Mike had ruined her "perfect record"- the Wheeler kids could no longer be considered the perfect siblings. 

"I'm sorry to ruin your afternoon like this, Mrs. Wheeler," The principle said politely, looking at Mike and his mom from his desk through his small oval glasses. 
"No, no. It's okay, Tom." she smiled at him, sickeningly sweet.

"It's a minor thing, we wouldn't of even called except young Mike here is usually a perfect student, we wanted to make sure everything was alright at home." The principle said, looking at Mike.

That's when Mike knew he was toast for sure: why did he have to say problems at home? if there was one thing his mother hated more than missing her jazzercise class it was their family's reputation being tarnished. SHIT. 

"I can assure you that everything is completely okay at home." The mother's tone turned icy cold, although her smile was still on her face. It was even scarier.

The principle hurried to back off, as scared as her as everyone in town.

"No, of course it is! that's not what I meant! I just-" he fumbled, then sighed deeply. "Look, Mike's a good kid. We don't want this to turn into a big deal- how about you take him home for the rest of the afternoon, and none of this will go on his personal record. Sounds fair?" The principle asked, and Mike hurried to nod. He knew his mother was doing the same.

It would have been a fair punishment, except Mike knew there was much more punishment from his mom to come.

God. The way they were talking about it- like Mike had beaten something up instead of writing his initials into the stall of the school bathroom among the HUNDREDS of others. It was so not a big deal- only, with his family everything was a big deal. 

"Well then, I suppose we're done here. Thank you for your time, Karen," He shook her hand, then put it on Mike's shoulder.

"You're a good kid, son. Don't let this become routine," he said. Mike hated that he called him son, especially because the principle was now considerably shorter than Mike.

"Of course he won't. Thank you, Tom." She said, and the two left the office.

They started towards the parking lot, in complete silence. Mike was smart enough not to say anything, not yet. The moment they get in the car, however, he started spilling.

"Mom it's not a big deal, EVERYONE graffiti-es the bathroom stalls-" He tried, but she sent him one look that made his words freeze in his throat.

"Zip it. We don't do these things. I'm very, very disappointed in you. Sometimes I wish you were more like your sister," she said, "When we get home you go straight to your room. No television, no comics. I'll think of your punishment and let you know." Then she turned her gaze back to the road and the silence continued. 

Mike knew better than to argue: He just looked out the window, pouting.

Sometimes he wished he was like his sister too: she, at least, had gotten away from Hawkins.

-

-

-

[ AUTHOR SAYS]

Thank you so much for choosing to read my story! if you haven't, check out my other books "addicted", "like we used to be", "starstruck," " 48 hours " and "a breath away" (all Byler).

I know this is boring, but aren't first parts usually? promise it'll get better:))

I'll update this every other day, check out my profile for the exact posting schedule:)

enjoy ♥️♥️