Out of my Mind

A/N: Basically Hamlet's been sent to treatment because he was deemed unstable, and his fucked up, drugged mind has produced his worst nightmare.

*Omnipotent PoV*

Hamlet knew loneliness. He knew it better than the back of his hand. He knew how it felt to lay wide awake in his chambers each night, feeling a certain deep emptiness that could only be filled by one person.

Hamlet missed Horatio with his whole being, every fiber that made him up and held him together. The prince loved his scholar with everything that he was and all that he had, and could not bear the moments without him.

During the frequent nights when the prince lay awake in his bed, mostly inactive, his mind was drawn to Horatio. Tired of the days playing a hopeless game of pretend with his father, Hamlet captured all thought of Horatio and kept it bottled until the late hours.

His lips, his eyes, his mind, his hands, everything Hamlet could barely stand to think about. His man was miles away, pursuing his dreams and continuing with his education. All of Hamlet's time at Elsinore and all he had to show for it was a generalized bachelor's degree.

One of these nights, Hamlet felt a tear drip down his cheek and wiped at it absently.

"I hope you're not crying over me, my lord." There was that voice. Hamlet heard it every time he slept, however infrequently, and now he heard it even when he was awake.

"I refuse to listen to you, you're not actually here!" Hamlet said brashly, standing up and whirling to face the other side of the room where he was sure he would be greeted with nothing but empty air.

"Well, that would be quite a shame. This trip would have been quite the waste," Horatio said, leaning casually against the door frame as if that's where he belonged.

"Horatio, you're here."

"That I am, my dear, much to the dismay of my professors."

"You-you can't actually be here! I shouldn't even be here!"

"Ah, but I am." Horatio strode across the room with ease, his brow furrowed with an indescribable emotion.

Horatio wrapped his arms around Hamlet's waist carefully, less supportive and more purposeful.

"Horatio, I have missed you." Hamlet murmured into his boyfriend's hair, the weight of the words feeling less than what he intended them to. He hadn't just missed him, he'd fallen apart without him.

"Hamlet, your mother tells me how much you've been neglecting your duties. I came here to tell you to move on," Horatio said, pushing the shakiness from his voice.

"Your kingdom cannot fall apart for the sake of me. You, as you were destined, will marry Ophelia. She loves you Hamlet, and I cannot pretend to ignore your courtship any longer. I know that you've snuck out to see her on the nights we have shared a bed. I do not hold this against you, for I know I was never meant to be your real lover." Horatio delivered this horrifying message with ease, his face blank.

"Horatio, no. I know I messed up, but please, don't do this to me. You can't do this!"

"Hamlet, your people need you. Nobody needs me."

"Horatio I need you!" Hamlet said, the desperation he felt crawled up his throat, leaving it dry and scratchy.

"You want me to stay because you are too afraid of what you'll have to face when I'm away," Horatio stated, ducking his head with shame.

"Horatio, as your prince, I order you to stop this, whatever you're doing!" Hamlet cried, pushing Horatio away from him and carding his hands through his hair in desperation.

"In all the years you knew me, you treated me as an equal. I loved you for that. Please do not change that now."

Hamlet did not respond.

Horatio kissed the prince one last time, leaving his ex with the ghost of his lips upon his own, and walked out of the room.

Hamlet felt the last piece of his own sanity leave as well. 

A/N: 

Sorry not sorry.

Peace