15

"Come on Kennedy, please!"

I whirl around to face Janet, the stack of papers in my arms sliding precariously. "I'm sorry, I just have too much on my plate. You know I would help you if I could."

"But you're a natural born leader! And Headmaster Jones said if I could find a team captain then he'd give me the green light!"

I stop and take a deep breath. I feel for her. I really do. Janet is an overeager freshman who just recently transferred. Apparently she was on the dance team at her old school before her parents had to relocate because of her dads new job. Our school has many clubs and sports, but we don't have a dance team. And with all the money I raised, we can finally start one. A lot of girls were eager to join. The problem is Janet is a freshman, and a transfer at that. There's no way she'll be able to command an entire team, nor will they listen to her. Hence why she needs a team captain. It's flattering that I'm her first choice, really. I used to take ballet and contemporary when I was younger. But there's no way I can spearhead the dance team, not when I'm already swarmed.

"Look Janet," I start. "It's too much. I'm already juggling tennis, the senior class, and student body, not to mention college applications and school itself. Under any other circumstance I would help. You know I would."

Janet lets out a resigned sigh but nods. "I understand. But can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"Do you know anyone else who would make a good captain?"

I smile. "I know the perfect person."

...

"Absolutely not."

"Come on Vienna," I plead. "She's desperate."

"Then why don't you do it?"

I give her a look. "You know I can't."

"And you know I don't dance anymore. Not since the incident."

I let out an exasperated huff. "That was six years ago!"

"Really?" She unties her paint splattered apron. "Huh. Feels like it was just yesterday. Anyway what do you think of this new piece?"

I roll my eyes but look at the easel. At first glance it looks like a lovely garden with big, beautiful, and bold flowers. There's a weeping willow tree in the distance and I swear I can hear the birds and happy critter noises coming off the easel. I step closer, and that's when things become a little distorted. Some of the flowers are wilted and dying. The tree looks like it's collapsing in on itself. A river flows throughout the painting, with little dead fish floating on the surface. There a fox eating a poor bunny, blood and all, and what I thought were pretty butterflies don't look like butterflies at all. They look dark and scary.

What was once a beautiful painting now looks deadly. And all with just a brush and some paint.

"It's amazing Vienna," I sigh. "You're an amazing artist. Why don't you just tell your parents that you don't want to go to med school?"

She laughs. "And what, tell them I'm thinking about pursuing art instead? I might as well tell them I'm becoming a monk and moving to the Himalayas. I think my father would actually have a stroke."

I frown. I hate how her life has already been mapped out for her.

"Chin up babe," Vienna pats my shoulder. "I've accepted my fate. What I really should be doing is thanking you. With all the money you raised, the art club was finally able to get new supplies. It's about fucking time. We were painting with half bristled brushes for crying out loud."