𝐭𝐰𝐨 | 𝐚𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐠𝐧𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭

d

d.c.
I follow the GPS in my car to the address Frasier sent me earlier. Frasier has been like a father to me for twenty years. When I was eight, my mother was murdered, stabbed in our car just outside of our home. The perps were never caught, even with as many links as my Father had at the time. And with the loss of my mother, the woman who actually made sure I had what I needed to survive, my Father realized I was in danger of starving, dying, or being taken away. So, a couple weeks after her death, he sent me to live with Frasier. I drift down the highway, taking an exit I've never been on. My phone begins to buzz in my pocket. I remove it, spotting Flynn's number. I answer, putting the phone on speaker as I continue driving.

"Devin! So glad you answered. Frasier heard you're quite tired from last night's... paint job so I've got one assignment for you before you're free to go home."
"Oh? Well, what is it? I'm headed to an address I've never been to."
"Alana needs to be picked up after school today before my wife can come and get her. So, you're gonna go hangout with her until my wife can get there. Sound good? I would ask Jackson but he's pretty busy right now."
"Yeah, of course, Flynn. I love hanging out with Alana."
"Thanks, Dev. This really means a lot to me. Talk to you soon."

I hang up, sighing as I pull up the school. I spot children running around on the playground and outside. I see children pouring out through the doors of the building. I park, climbing out of the car. I look down at my watch—3:17. I walk to one of the doors children have been exiting the building from. A group of three boys run past me, tagging each other, laughing. I smile and enter the building. When Alana was born, five years ago, Flynn and his wife immediately considered me an Uncle to their child based on how long we had known each other. I've taken care of Alana plenty of times before, just never after school. I adjust my leather jacket, looking around. I spot a woman wearing a school badge waving at children as they leave with their parents. I approach her.
"Hi, ma'am. I'm here to pick up my Niece but I've never done this whole pick up process. Can you point me in the right direction?" I ask.
She smiles, nodding at me, waving at another child as he walks by with his father.
"You're gonna want to go through those red doors. They'll take you to the Gym where Parents or Guardians can pick up their students." She says, pointing at a set of doors at the end of the hall.
I smile, nodding at her with appreciation for the help.
"Thank you very much, ma'am. Have a great afternoon." I say.
She nods and I walk down the hall, spotting art pieces from the classes decorating the walls. I push one door open, spotting dozens of children laughing and talking as they either sit on the ground or run around and play.

a.c.
I sit on the bleachers, watching the children being greeted by their parents or relatives as they are picked up from school. Julia, a girl with caramel skin and dark brown curls, runs over, giving me a hug before she returns to her mother to leave for the day.
     "Alana!" A man exclaims across the gym, waving to Alana Dallas. "Hey, Kiddo."
She jumps off the bench, grabs her large backpack, and runs in his direction, a large smile plastered on her face. He picks her up, wrapping his arms around her, smiling at her.
"I missed you! What are you doing here? Where's Mommy?" She asks.
He has tanned skin, dark eyes, and dark chocolate hair. His peach lips curl into a smile as he kisses her cheek.
"Dad wanted me to come hang out with you cause Mom doesn't get off work for another Half hour."
He brushes her hair out of her face. I don't recognize him. Usually, Alana is either picked up by her Mother, Jamie, or her Father, Flynn. Sometimes, she's even picked up by her Uncle, Jackson. But this man isn't any of them. He sets her down on the ground, grabbing her backpack, slinging it over his shoulder.
"Come with me to say Hi to Miss. Ayleigh!" Alana exclaims.
She makes a dead sprint in my direction, laughing and cheerful as always. I stand, preparing for the hug.
"Hi, Miss. Ayleigh!" She exclaims, wrapping her arms around me.
I smile, wrapping my arms around her in reply to the sweet little hug.
"Hi, Alana. What are you doing?" I ask her, hoping she'll tell me who he is.
She smiles, looking up at the man without a name.
"We're waiting for my Mommy to get off of work. Then, she'll come pick me up." She says.
I smile, scrunching my nose at her. The man reaches forward, offering his hand.
"Devin Calhoun." He says. "I'm one of her Uncles."
I smile, shaking his hand. His hand is warm and soft, yet callused on his palms.
"Ayleigh Cochran." I say. "I'm Alana's Kindergarten teacher. So, you're related to Flynn and Jamie Dallas?"
     He shakes his head, a smile creeping at his lips as he looks down at Alana.
     "No, actually. We're not related by blood or name. We've just been friends for forever and when Alana was born, they made me an Uncle. And I knew not to argue with them." He says.
     I smile. Alana runs and plays with her friends and I keep an eye on the clock on the wall. Devin sits a couple seats away from me, watching Alana.
     "Well, you really couldn't ask for a better girl to have as a Niece. She's just the best." I say.
     He smiles, watching her playing with another girl named Caroline.
     "She is the best. Her parents have raised her well." He says.
     I spot Jamie walking into the Gym. She wears a black and white pinstripe jumper with a black suit jacket over top. She wears tall black heels that make a loud click when she walks. She's stunning. Flynn really snagged himself a girl.
     "Alana, honey, I'm so sorry that I couldn't be here sooner. Work kept me a little late. But, I see you got to hang out with Uncle Devin. Isn't that cool?" She asks.
     Devin stands, approaching them with Alana's backpack strapped over his shoulder. He removes it, pulling it onto Alana.
     "Now you're ready to conquer the world, girl. Give me a hug before you go." He says.
     I watch as she dives into his arms, hugging him tightly. They separate and Alana leaves with her mother. I watch as Devin checks his watch. He looks over at me, our eyes meeting.
     "It was nice meeting you, Ayleigh. I hope to see you again." He says.
     I smile at him, fantasizing about his mouth next to my ear with that rough voice and those soft lips.
     "Likewise, Mr. Calhoun." I say, watching him leave after we say our goodbyes.
     I pull on my sweater and grab my bag. I walk down the hall towards the exit to walk to my car. I spot him approaching a fancy black Volvo—nearly brand new. He opens the door, stopping for a second to look around. Our eyes meet and he nods. He climbs into his car, driving away.
Damn...