Prologue

Hades had done it. He had well and truly done it. He had kidnapped Persephone. Oh Him, Demeter was going to kill him. In fact, most of TGOEM was going to kill him. He'd taken their protege, they'd been grooming her for this for a long time.

He glanced at Persephone in the passenger seat. She didn't look the least bit concerned, instead he saw... relief? And, dare he hope, happiness?

He couldn't hide her in the underworld. Demeter would demand Zeus come and retrieve her daughter. Zeus wouldn't deny Demeter. No one denied Demeter when she was angry. But in that moment, the only place he could think of to go was home to the Underworld.

His many dogs greeted Persephone enthusiastically. She gave them all kisses and his lips quirked with a small smile. His mind was racing. He didn't know what to do. He knew she needed help, she had begged him to help her come up with a plan to avoid saying her vows. The obvious answer had been on his tongue. 'Well, just sleep with me.' But he doubted that was the answer she was looking for. Watching her try to pet all of his dogs at once, smiling so innocently, Hades knew she would never want him that way.

Persephone looked up at him, her expression somber. "I'm sorry I dragged you into my mess." Hades shook his head.

"I'm happy to help any damsel in distress. You need only pat the ground twice. You know that." He tucked a strand of pink hair behind her ear.

She smiled a little. "You're becoming less of a scoundrel every day."

Hades chuckled. "Your mother would disagree. I did just abscond with her daughter, after all."

Persephone laughed but he could tell the thought made her nervous. "They've probably noticed by now that I'm gone. Everyone will be waiting at the ceremony. Everyone will be so disappointed..."

Hades drew her into his arms, holding her. "They were trying to force you into something you didn't want. You'd be a member for life. You'd... you'd be miserable."

"Would I?" She sniffed.

"Well... yeah. I know you don't have much experience but as someone who has uh... had the opportunity to partake in... though uh... not many times... well a few times! More than once at least..." Damn! His mind was fumbling for the right words, especially as she watched him with mild amusement. "Look," he grumbled, "sex is fun, ok? I imagine it's even better with someone you love."

She laughed, enjoying his embarrassment and the soft flush that rose to his cheeks. "I'll take your word for it. For now." He barely suppressed a shiver. Dare he hear a promise in her words?

"What will happen, do you think?" Her query brought him back to reality. "Will they come after me? Do you think my mother knows where I am?"

Hades was silent for a moment. "I imagine your mother with send my brother down here to fetch you. Demeter would never step foot in the underworld. She hates me too much, and this will most certainly not endear me to her."

She stared out the window. "Will... Will your brother force me to come home?"

Hades watched her. He wanted nothing more than to wrap her in his arms and hold her til the end of time. "Persephone... I can try to stop Zeus... but his word is law... if he orders me to return you... " Hades took a deep breath and steeled his nerves. "There is only one way to prevent you from being forced to return to your mother."

Persephone looked up at him with those wide, sparkling eyes he loved so dearly. "What's that?"

"You must marry me."