Chapter 13

"Okay, Reese, I want you to close your eyes and not open them until I say," Zara said, kissing her forehead.

"But, Zara, I—"

Her voice trailed off as she covered her eyes from behind with her hands and began to lead her out the back door. She was definitely an adult today, based on her jeans and sweater, and attitude today. That wasn't a bad thing, since her gift she was giving her was incredibly adult. 

Reese was turning 25 today and Zara was excited to give her a great birthday. She hadn't been little in awhile, and Jordan had let her know that her birthday was usually a hard time for her. Her mother had been big on her birthday, and after she died, it just was another reminder of her loss. Today was no different, but Zara was doing her best to get Reese excited.

When she walked her into the driveway, she stopped her and slid her hands down to her slim waist.

"Okay, open your eyes," she said.

Reese did as she was told and her hand flew up to her mouth in shock. Sitting in the driveway was a brand new, midnight blue Range Rover SUV with a big bow on the hood.

"Z-z-Zara is that for me?" she stammered, looking back at her.

"All for you, my love," she said, "Happy Birthday."

Reese was in shock. this car was more expensive than anything she had ever owned in her life.

"I want you to have a safe car to drive. this thing is a tank."

"Thank you. I'm stunned though," she said softly.

"Come on, sweetheart, why don't you get in?"

Zara gently led her to the door and opened it before lifting her into the seat and sliding the key, complete with fish keychain, into her small hand.

Reese ran her hands along the brown leather of the seat, looking around at the mahogany wood dashboard before resting her hands on the wood of the steering wheel.

"Zar, this is too nice," she said softly.

"Not for you, Reese. Nothing is too good for you," she said, bending in and kissing her forehead, "Turn it on."

Reese put the key in the ignition and turned. The engine purred to life and the electronic console lighted up.

"It's so quiet. Never had a car so quiet."

"I thought you'd like the color too," she said.

"I love it, Zar. Thank you."

She turned the car off and reached for her. She put her big arms around her and hugged her tightly.

"I'm glad you like it. That's not the only gift I have for you, birthday girl," she said in her ear.

"Zar, too much," she said, releasing her.

"Never," she said, lifting her into her arms and shutting the car door.