The Three Cedars of Togakushi

This story does not belong to me, I am merely someone who writes this for other's entertainment. Credits to the storytellers and artists.

Mermaids are interesting beings, which we do not even know what powers they hold.

This story takes place in Togakushi of Nagano, about 65 km from the seashore.

Once, there lived a fisherman. He went out to the sea to fish everyday, to get something for his family to eat.

One day while he was fishing, he felt his fishing rod pull. He immediately pulled it up, hoping for a big catch. To his surprise, it was a mermaid.

"Please, let me go," the mermaid begged. "I won't harm you if you let me free!"

But the fisherman did not listen to her. Instead, he killed her without an ounce of mercy and brought her flesh to his family and three children.

The next day, the fisherman went out again to fish. He had left the mermaid's flesh in the pantry of his house, so it would be safe.

But he was wrong.

His three children were looking for something to eat, for they were very hungry. They went into the pantry, and found the mermaid flesh.

Without giving it much thought, they gorged the meat until they finished it all.

Suddenly, they felt something strange. Their bodies started to change, their skin sprouted into scales, and tortured them.

When the fisherman had come back, he found his three children dead in the pantry.

The poor fisherman mourned about his children's death. He instantly regretted taking the mermaid's life.

That night, when he went to sleep, a divine messenger deity appeared in his dream.

"If you want to save your children's souls, you should go and make a pilgrimage to Togakushi, and plant three cedar trees in order to honor your children."

The fisherman humbly agreed. When he woke up the next day, he travelled to Togakushi to do what he was told.

Up to to this day, you can still visit the three tress in Sanbonsugi of Togakushi.

That's the end for today's folktale!

I must apologize for the very long wait. I was very occupied these past few months with work, and such. But I'm happy that I'm back to writing again!~

I hope to publish more chapters in the future!

Please be patient with me 🙏

see you in the next update!~
- Elizabeth