Part Two

My alarm blares into my ears at 6:00 pm.  I uncover myself from the cozy warm blankets that protect me from the cold air in my condo.  I step out and go to the bathroom.  After brushing my teeth I tested the water temperature and stepped into the nice warm shower.  It felt great.  When I left the bathroom I found a text that I had received from Emma, saying the system has crashed and all work partners are needed urgently at the offices. 

I hate it when this happens.  It just means we have to sit there being bored as heck, and wait for the servers to start up again.  This usually happens because of the terrible WiFi the owner of the computer I'm in has.  The guy never fixes it, and his WiFi shuts down maybe a good 7 times a month. 

At that moment, the little TV in the bedroom turned on by itself, and going to the news channel instantly, like it always does in this kind of procedure, I walked over and sat down on the couch.  I watching just so I know what will be happening when I meet Emma in our office.  The television then flashed big bright lights on the screen, and glitched momentarily to a strange number of codes and hacks, ones that I would never be able to understand.  That was weird.  They never taught me those number combinations and loops in college.  After that happened, which only happened in a matter of a few seconds, the screen switched back to whatever the company was about to show me, and all of the other people in the search bar.  It told me and the people who were watching that there was once again a malfunction with the WiFi connection.  This is the fifth time in this month of December.  I swear it will be a Christmas miracle if nothing happens on the 25th.  (I started writing this before New Years)

The only thing they talked about was the drill we were going through, and what was needed at the link companies.  They said everything will be up and running again in a matter of maybe an hour.  Wow that's long. Don't think there has ever been a WiFi shut down for this long.  Okay then. Welp I need to get over there so Emma can get off her shift and then everything should be fine and dandy.  I threw some shoes on, and then headed down to work.  Since our WiFi is out, the little code networks we are given to watch and take over our game won't work, because they are part of the computer and need the internet connection for it.

As I walked into the building after a long boring and quiet drive, (yes there are cars here too) I climbed up the stairs to where I will meet Emma.  Literally everything here doesn't work without the dumb WiFi.  Even the elevators. 

I opened our office doors to reveal Emma slumped over desk, monitoring what was going on in her screen.  Don't know what she was doing, considering the situation.  She was wearing a nice colorful pair of headphones, so I took this as a good opportunity to scare the heck out of her.  I looked around for her phone, and located it sitting on the desk, relatively close to her, underneath her left wenis.  She wasn't paying any close attention to what else was surrounding her, only the screen.  I crept up behind her and snatched her phone away without her noticing.  Her headphones were bluetooth and long distance, so I left the room and made my way to the back of the building.  Lately she has been getting a lot of messages from work asking her to take the trash from the office to the bins, since our office is closest to the front and the garbage man comes when she is on her shift.  I made my way to the garbage cans where my evil prank was going to unravel. I squished myself between the two and hoped there were no scary bugs willing to crawl on my skin.  Using Emma's phone I sent a notification that she would hear through her headphones, and minutes later I saw her walking out, grumbling, and holding a half full trash bag.  She lifted up the lid on the disposal to my left.  Her foot was right in front of me and I took this as a great opportunity.

I looked up just as the trash bag went up with her arm I grabbed her ankle (just like cricket ya know ;) )

She screamed like bloody murder and looked down to see her partner, laughing her butt off.  It was hilarious.  She looked down at me in total shock (no cap).  I stood up and put my hands on my knees trying to catch my breath.

"The hell?" She asked, and I just stood in the same position, panting.

"I- omg the look on your face"

Now it had turned into a complete struggle trying to regain my breath, and after a few minutes of Emma telling me to shut up, I had calmed down.

"Alright well that was incredibly funny"

"Just be quiet. What are you doing here anyway?"

"Have you lost your mind? I'm here to take your shift dummy."

Emma stared at me as if I was the one going bonkers, when clearly it was her.

"I got here at my normal time at 2:50 in the morning what do mean?" I asked.

"Macy why are you being so ridiculous?  You still have five hours until you are supposed to be here."

I had already returned Ema's phone to her so I pulled mine out and checked the time, and sure enough, she was right.

"Huh? Then when was the WiFi shut down?"
"...It was never shut down.  Are you okay?"
"But my phone went off and it said 1:00 am, which is my normal time.  Then the television went on like normally and said the WiFi was out and the workers were patiently waiting for the computer owner to come back.  WAIT YOU TEXTED ME!!! Look hold on..."

I pulled out my phone and went to my messages and the last thing that was texted between us was if hamsters ate salami, since Emma was babysitting a friend of ours hamster.

"You must be tripping or something." Emma said.

"I swear this happened, I literally responded to you"

"Well obviously not"

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh this was seriously confusing me, as well as pissing me off since Emma thought I needed mental help.

"I gotta go back to the office, and you better get back to the condo," Emma started walking off.

She was right. I checked my phone again and the time was almost 10.  I headed back to my lil virtual car and sped off.  There really was no point in going back to sleep, since I was already ready for my day and there was only a few hours left before I actually have to go to work. 

What exactly just happened? There was never a glitch recorded in computer bug history where one person in one specific condo had alarms go off at the wrong time and go to work five freaking hours before my shift. 

Ema's POV

Stupid Macy always finding ways to pull obnoxious pranks on me.  She's my best friend so I knew a ton of things about her.  Like how picky she is with her food, how obsessed she is with Sam and Colby and exactly who her crush was when we were in elementary school.  With this information I could pull so many great pranks.

I started planning ways of getting her back when I got the opportunity.  There were some good ideas that were popping into my head.  My phone eventually set off signaling it was time to leave.  It felt like it went by so quick, like it was only 2 hours or so.  Macy also hadn't made her way here yet, but she could possibly only be here in a matter of a few minutes, so I'm pretty sure the servers would be fine.

I grabbed my stuff, and headed out of the front doors of the office.  The office I work at only has rooms for people to do their stuff in, and it's not like there is customer service so it's pretty much a long hallway for people to walk in and out.  It was strange.  Nobody was leaving, and nobody was coming in.  I paused and checked my mobile device again and saw the time was right.  Ughhhhh these last few days have been so confusing.  I walked out the front doors and put my hands across the door handle, about to pull it open, when something terrible happened. Something I would remember for the rest of my life.

A hand went over my mouth, and yanked me back.  There was no time to scream, and there was no possible way I could fight back.  It all happened so fast, and by the time had come to the realization of what was happening,

everything had gone black.

1542 words
-Anonymous Moss