A posh teenager and a likeable professional during the Black Plague of 1347.

Susanna Isolda Challener's mother was dying. It was 1347 in Weymouth, so quite a lot of people were. Sickness was crawling through the streets and into the homes of all. Rich or poor, female or male, death was not picky about it's victims; and it certainly didn't matter if Ada Challener had four children to take care of. She was still dying. Doctor after doctor, all having the end goal of her father's money. Up until now, Susanna was very proud of that. Her father was a rich nobleman who could afford the very best the century had to offer. Even these doctors who came to the house were the top of the line. But all of them, as was said, came for the money. And who could blame them? Everyone, even the most educated medics knew that every hope and attempt to save the lives of those who had been hit by the Plague was futile.

"Father why, why do you insist on bringing another one of those people in? They aren't going to do anything, we might as well just give up." Alured Challener smiled weakly at his daughter. The front she was putting up would deceive anyone from the outside. Susanna was panicking. Her mother was dying and it wasn't looking good for her. What about her brothers? The youngest was three. Susanna herself was only 13. "I know this man, he is our last chance. If even he says it is useless, then I will not bring anyone else. We'll just have to..." Susanna knew what was coming next; she didn't need him to finish the sentence. She walked downstairs, waiting to see what failure waited at the door.

"Good evening, miss Susanna." She turned up her nose at this greeting. "Get it over with and tell us our mother is going to die. No amount of you telling us that she'll live will increase your pay." "You are mistaken, miss Susanna. I am not getting paid for this at all." The doctor could see the looking of increasing confusion, and a reply cooking on her tongue. "Waleran. I'm glad you could make it." "Of course. Now may I see Ada?"

Susanna and her brothers were sitting on stools waiting for their father and this 'Waleran' to come out. They couldn't hear anything from the room, a contrast to the yelling Alured would do once he found out that they were coddling him for money. At last, the two of them came out of their mother's secluded room. "Children," Waleran's facial expression could not be seen due to the mask that he wore, but his voice was laced with regret that he couldn't tell these children that their mother was going to live. Sadness, that another life would be claimed by this horrible disease. "Children, I cannot put this any other way. Your mother is going to die." Susanna looked away. She knew it. Why did she have any hope? Because he wasn't getting paid? What would that mean? Why would that mean anything? Her mother was going to die, and that was the end of that. "But," But? There was never a 'but' in these cases. "I can prolong her life. She will die, but you'll have more time with her. I can also try and relieve her suffering slightly." Susanna's cold eyes had become glassy. "Thank you," she whispered, thinking that nobody heard her. Waleran nodded, and headed towards the door. "I shall come again tomorrow with the medicine. Good evening."

For the first time in a bit, Susanna felt at peace with a medic's conclusion.