Chapter 16

Carver

The sun started to break the horizon a little while ago. The rays shine from in between the buildings, lighting up the Manhattan sky like something out of a movie. Amity's apartment has an incredible view, but that's more from my angle than hers.

She's curled up beside me, her head on my chest. Her hair is splayed around the sheets, pillows, my arm.

The quiet of the night and morning has given me time to think. Too much time, perhaps. Lying her in bed, in her home, surrounded by her things, she's all I can think about. The memories we share, both from recent encounters and days gone by. The things I know about her now and the things I still want to discover. How she can go from straight boss woman to a vulnerable ingénue when she feels safe enough to do it. All the little nuances that make her the most interesting, yet infuriating, female I've ever known.

There was no way I was sleeping last night. When I climbed in bed to stay the night, it was just to hold her. There's been a knot in my gut for hours now, the unknown eating me alive.

If I could fast-forward the day ahead a few hours and see what Salvo and his minions come back with, I'd do it in a heartbeat. I didn't have an opportunity to really press Amity for answers last night; she evaded the questions I did get in. Maybe she's as confused as I am about this whole thing. That wouldn't be a bad thing. It would mean there's hope for something to happen in some capacity.

She stirs, yawning as she stretches an arm over her head. "I'm so sore," she groans, opening one eye and looking at me. "And it's all your fault."

"That means it's a job well done."

"A job well done three times in ..." she looks at the clock "five hours?"

"You fell asleep before I could make it four," I say, kissing her cheek.

We lie there looking at one another, the sun finally lifting just above the skyline. With the official arrival of the morning, the way we look at one another changes.

I brush a lock of hair from her eyes. "Thank you for letting me stay last night."

"I'm glad you did. And not just for the sex," she breathes. "It was nice having you beside me last night."

Her words hit me in the chest, rocking me to the core. I've never craved holding a woman like I do Amity, never wanted to grab onto her and not let her go. On its own, that would be odd. But coupled with what we're about to do today, it's downright terrifying.

"I know what you're thinking," she says. "I wish this wasn't happening today too."

"It kind of kills the vibe we had going on, huh?"

"It absolutely does." She presses a kiss to my sternum. "We may as well get to it. There's no sense in pretending like it's not going to happen."

"Amity?" She looks at me over her shoulder. "Whatever happens today, however that affects us going forward, I'm glad we got to know each other again."

"Me too." She looks away before turning and swinging her legs off the side of the bed. "I need to grab a shower before I go into the office."

"Yeah, I need to run by my place first, too."

"Can you let yourself out?"

She's walking across the room already, her body a perfect silhouette against the cityscape. It's a view I could get used to.

"Yes. I'll see you in an hour or so," I say as she disappears into the bathroom and shuts the door.

With a feeling of dread heavy in my gut, I climb out of bed and gather my clothes. I get them sorted and donned and head into the living room. As I bend down to pick my wallet and belt off the coffee table, I bump her laptop. It comes alive with her presentation pulled up.