Chapter Thirteen: The Miracle Cavern

I breathe in deeply as if I have never had air in my lungs. The gasp for air is followed by a series of hard coughs so violent, I think I may never stop. My body moves up and down with the motion of the one who carries me. I am too sore to move, so I focus on breathing.

When the coughing finally subsides, it takes a few seconds before my sight aligns. Barely, I lift my head to see the dead Idex form outside the old restaurant we just exited. I must have only been out for a few seconds.

"Hang in there, Iris," Jesse says. He's the one carrying me. Wasn't he just paralyzed?

The Idex carcass gets further and further away. I almost died. It's the only thought I have. Well, that and air. I close my eyes, concentrating on breathing. In through my nose. Out through my mouth. Every once in a while I open my eyes to make sure I still can see.

When the Blue Narcissus come into view, my whole body relaxes. No Idex here. Only golden grass and fireflies.

"Are you alright?" Jesse asks me.

"Yeah." My voice sounds raspy and weak, but it's audible. I rest against his chest and breathing becomes easier for me. I am about to tell him that I can walk the rest of the way, but he is moving so surely, it seems like he's not even tired. So, I let him carry me.

Abigail opens the door to the house, and I hear the others. Everyone is talking over one another, both excitedly and in concern for me. "I'm fine," I say over and over. But my voice is shot. Jesse lays me on the couch as Josh and Audra run over.

"What happened?" Josh asks. Chelsea tells them both. He and Audra make horrified facial expressions as they take in the story. "It's a miracle you are alive," he says, eyes wide.

"The Idex talked to me," I rasp. "It said Balnaryah, eeks, seracht nell," I say, turning to Audra while rubbing my neck.

"That's so scary," Audra says, curling her hand under her lip.

"Why, what's it mean?" Jesse asks her.

"It means, 'your God is dead here,'" Audra says, shivering.

My eyes widen at her as I think on the phrase. Why would that thing say that to me? How did he even know I believed in God? I groan and rub my head, soothing a headache amongst my other pains. That's when I notice Lacie, leaning against the wall by the kitchenette. Though she says nothing, her face holds a strange mix of concern and frustration.

Jesse tells the others to give me space, and they oblige, joining Abigail and Michael who are excited about the rescued Johnny. Jesse stays with me, and although he doesn't touch me, he comforts me. Apparently the other group was not able to rescue anyone, however they did see Alexandra and Ulysses in a fenced-in area behind the ship. There were so many Idex back there that they didn't dare try to save either of them.

Soon, everyone regroups in the living room and discusses the day together. I move to an upward position on the couch while Jesse, Chelsea and Audra sit beside me. Michael, Abigail, AJ and Josh sit on the couch across from us while Johnny and Lacie sit in the individual chairs.

AJ rubs his palms together. "Could we send Chelsea in there to get Ulysses and Alexandra? She mimicked an Idex no problem," he suggests.

Michael shakes his head. "I don't know if that would work. We would need more than one Idex escorting them out. You saw how they were with Johnny." He looks back to Abigail. "They would be suspicious."

"Iris can do it!" Abigail exclaims. Everyone looks at her.

I cover my face, bracing myself for the inevitable. Lacie's head is rested on her fist. She furrows her brows as she stares at Abigail.