A Broken Bond

SPOILERS!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCH TROS!!!

Everything had gone completely silent. She felt absolutely nothing and knew absolutely nothing. She was cold inside and out. Why was she here? She couldn't remember.

Then there was warmth.

Light was flowing through her. She could feel it coursing through her veins. The heat spread through her body, it's source coming from her stomach. The warmth was familiar and comforting and her body was soaking it up. It was his warmth.

It all came back to her. What had happened before everything went black. The fight with Palpatine alongside her other half, Ben. The Ben who had his palm gently resting on her stomach. The source of the warmth and light, she realized. He was healing her. He brought her back to life. She brought her hand to cover his and looked incredulously up at him.

She saw the relief in his brown eyes that were finally clear from the clouds of the storm of conflicting emotions raging inside of him. But he was at peace now. He had returned to the light. Finally, Ben Solo has come home.

"Ben," she said as she lifted her hand to hold his cheek for a moment before pulling him into her.

Her lips finally met his. He returned the kiss with equal fervor. When they pulled away, she kept him close, looking deep into his eyes. Everything was finally clear, and she could see the love he had for her without him having to say a word. She hoped he could see the same in her. Then, her heart soared as his face shifted into a shy and awkward smile. It fit him perfectly. She wished he had been able to smile more, but that was something she was hoping to be able to fix in the future.

She could see it. A school for force sensitives who are taught how to find the balance within themselves, run by the two of them. She could see their family. But suddenly, that future was snuffed out.

Rey was overwhelmed with horror as Ben's grip on her loosened and she slowed his fall by her keeping a tight hold on him. It was too late though. His body began to fade away, out of his clothes which began to deflate to the ground. Unrestrained tears began to pour out of her eyes. It felt as though her very soul was being ripped in half at his absence, the bond between them severed as he passed into a different place.

"No!" She sobbed, grabbing his clothes off the floor and holding them to her chest. His sent clung to the fabric.

"Bring him back!" She demanded. To somebody. Anybody.

"BRING HIM BACK!!" She screamed, the agony she was feeling in her soul manifesting as she slammed her fist against the ground. After her outburst, her sobs began to quiet down. She finally looked up above her to see the sky above where her friends were fighting through the gaping hole caused by the emperor sending lighting up into the air. Some of the star destroyers were beginning to fall.

This victory was to the Resistance. She may have lost personally, but the galaxy was finally beginning to lose the hold the late Emperor Palpatine had on it. Ben did what he could for the greater good. If he hadn't saved her and went on living, no one would accept him or believe him anyway. The thought tore at her heart.

No matter how much she wanted to get him back and didn't want to leave this place behind for a chance of him coming back, she knew she had to. What was the point for him to sacrifice his life only for her to stay here in this awful place to be crushed by the falling star destroyers? She had all the time in the world to mourn him after this. Struggling to get on her feet, she finally managed to stand.

She called Luke and Leia's lightsabers one at a time and hooked them to her waist. She held Ben's clothes to her chest tightly as she hobbled towards Luke's old X-Wing. She set her course for Ajan Kloss once inside and she took off. Leaving Exegol proved to be rather difficult. She had to dodge falling debris coming from the war occurring in the sky. However, it seemed like the battle was coming to a close as she saw resistance X-Wings begin to ascend through the planet's atmosphere.