Chapter 4 - Getting Down to Business

< Aero >

My muscles tensed when I straightened up, standing proud and mighty with all my glory and nakedness. I looked at her. She was still not facing me, acting as if the pool's bleach-white tiles were interesting.

I scoffed at her inattention.

All two hundred and twenty pounds of my weight submerged under water when I entered the pool. I choose to sit on the lowest platform. My favorite spot. It had enough height for me to rest my head against the tiles and an enough depth to soak the lower half of my body.

"Tell me, woman, what is my brother up to?" I asked, breaking the terse silence enveloping us.

She cautiously glanced towards my way and when she noticed my decent-enough look, she fully turned her face to me and answered, "He is hiring me to straighten you up. Desensitize you from your fear of women."

"I don't fear women. I hate them. Those two words are entirely different." I gave her a cold look.

She rolled her eyes to the ceiling and mocked me, "Whatever."

Had she been close to my reach, I would have drowned her that instant for being so insolent, but I reminded myself I'm not a murderer—well, except for the judgment of death I passed on to a capital offense in my kingdom—but that's a different story. In addition, she could be useful in the future. Mayhap become the solution to my current problem. Elijah said so himself.

Damn him for putting this idea in my head.

"And in return for your services, what did he promise you?" I already knew the answer, but I asked anyway whilst I stared back at the dome ceiling.

"He promised to help me return to my own world." As expected. What a typical thing of my brother.

"You mean the Human Realm?" I gazed back at her and saw the crease on her forehead.

"If you wish to call it that, then yes, the human realm."

"I had the notion you were a human the first time we met. You reek of plainness and filth."

"Why would you say that?" Her voice became defensive.

I barely contained myself from grinning. "The Human Realm is too ordinary I considered it to be garbage," I stated right on the dot.

Her expression changed to that of strong determination, of patriotism and of protectiveness. She must love her realm so much.

"Then I'm sorry to say this but you shouldn't judge that quickly. You haven't even been in my realm before," she stated.

I flicked my wet finger mid air and looked at her, feeling bored.

"Oh, I have, woman, before the realms were established. All magic creatures coexisted with each other, the human species included. Garbage is quite a fitting name to your realm actually because it is full of garbage."

She seemed to second me there judging from the ashamed look on her face.

I grinned again, seeing that I was right.

She stayed silent for a moment, but then after a few seconds, remarked with her sharp eyes pointed at me. "For a King, you really know how to start a war."

"Start a war?" I parroted, taken aback, "with the Human Realm?" And then, for the first time ever since my father died, I had the loudest belly-aching laugh that resounded all over the bath.