fourteen

Fuck Manual Labor

I wasn't sure what time it was, but I knew it was much to early for anyone to be calling the bakery. Nevertheless the bakery phone downstairs was steadily ringing on and on, only waking up me it seemed and I cursed under my breath as I threw Yara's lifeless sleeping body from on top of me and slid out of bed with a yawn.

My phone screen told me it was 4:15 in the morning and the dark starless sky outside my window confirmed. Who the hell wanted baked goods at 4:15 in the morning.

Pulling on a pair of socks from my dresser, I padded across my room, doing my best not to wake the sleeping Yara in my bed, and tiptoed across the apartment and down the stairs to the bakery.

"Euphorium Bakery." I lifted the ringing phone to my ear, accidentally yawning into the speaker. "This is Mahalia Mendez how can I help you?"

"It's Finn."

"Finn!" I exclaimed into the receiver, quickly clamping my hand over my mouth at the sound of my loud voice echoing through the bakery. "Finn?" I questioned again, this time more quietly.

"I need your cleaning expertise." His voice was rushed and quiet, as if were in some sort of hurry and didn't want anyone to know, and I smiled at the idea of Finn in trouble. In Yara's words, I'm sure whatever mess he had gotten himself into, he deserved.

"Today's Saturday Finn, we'll be over the same time as last week-"

"No" he exclaimed fervently. Now I was curious, what kind of trouble had he gotten himself into. "I need you now!"

"Ok?" I drawled, rubbing the sleep from my eyes. "I'll let my mom know and we'll-"

"No!" He shouted again and I pulled the phone away from my ear at the sound of his booming voice.

"Ok can you stop fucking screaming in my ear every two seconds!"

"Sorry" He immediately apologized and I was taken aback. He must've been in some deep shit if he was desperate enough to call me.

"I-just." He began to stutter now and I found myself growing more and more intrigued by the moment. "Don't tell your mom ok?" He whispered into the phone. "Can you just come without her?"

"What's going on Finn? I'm not interested in doing anything illegal." I warned him.

"Look, I just- I need your help."

"You. You need my help?" I couldn't hold in a laugh. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. Just let me appreciate this moment for a second. You- the mayor's son- need my help. You know what, what's to stop me from saying no huh? What's to stop me from saying fuck you, and that you deserve whatever mess you've gotten yourself into?"

"I'll pay you double my dad's rate."

"Holy shit" I breathed into the phone disbelievingly. "Are you fucking serious?"

"Yeah, but I need you to come now, and I need you to come alone."

"I'll be there in 20 minutes."

I lied, I was there in 15. I don't care how much I hated Finn or how much of an ass he was, he had money, and if he was going to give it to me, I was willing to do whatever the hell he wanted.

Finn opened the door on the first ding and saying he looked tired and flustered was an understatement. He looked perpetually exhausted and anxious, as if he had seen a ghost.

"Come in" he left the door open for me, disappearing around the corner and I hauled the supplies I had brought with me into the house as I did my best to keep up with him, but my jaw instantly dropped to the floor.