Chapter One -- Emilia

Emilia and Jude were different. They were born opposite. Emilia was the kind of person who would come in to class late just to get into trouble. The kind of person who would speak without having the professor call on her. She enjoyed the way her gut felt whenever the professor said, "You're late," or, "Ms. Jones, I did not call on you. Sit back down." The kind of person who was left out during her high school dance. The one who barged in, by herself, and proceeded to sit in the corner and eat all of the food.

Unlike Emilia, Jude would get to class on time. Never early or late. He hated when the teacher asked him to answer a question, without him raising his hand. He loved the feeling of being alone in his favorite bookstore at night, when there was absolutely no one to disturb him and his only friends. At his high school dance, you couldn't even find him. He would much rather stay at home reading in his own room than wasting his time hanging out with real people.

Emilia and Jude lived their lives lonely. One stormy day Emilia was doing just that, walking through a dark alley by herself, staring at the spiders, smaller than pennies, skittering across the cobblestone street covered with dust, rat poop, and old, forgotten newspapers. She stomped on the spiders, her eyes glinting with the determination to kill. She picked up a newspaper and swept the little demons to the side so they would all be in one place. She lifted her foot and came down on them, but right when she was an inch away, she heard a voice plead quietly,

"Stop, please."

She spun around and saw a boy. She knew how boys were, teasing her for her rough 'n tough nature. Emilia immediately turned back around and stomped on the spiders. Behind her, she heard a soft whimpering sound and sighed but nonetheless rotated to the small boy crying behind her. Crying? She thought. Over some stupid spiders? Emilia rolled her eyes.

"Will you just," She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. She knew losing her temper would not do any good for either of them. "Please, stop crying," she whispered coldly.

"What have you done? Imagine a huge giant, the size of all the skyscrapers in the city combined, coming and stomping on you. How would that feel?"

"Not good," She paused.  "But that is not the case. Because do you see huge giants coming and stomping on us? No, ya don't." She turned from him and walked away.

Emilia arrived home to find her sister, Lilyanne, sewing on the couch. Emilia and Lilyanne were very different. Emilia wore pants, Lilyanne wore skirts and dresses.

"Emilia, you're finally home. Where have you been?" Lilyanne turned around to face Emilia.

"Just running a few errands. Nothing you should be concerned about." Emilia said with a hint of sternness in her voice. She didn't want her sister questioning her further. Lilyanne didn't exactly approve of the things Emilia found fun.

"What do you think of a double date tonight? Jack has a friend he thinks you would like."

"No way, Lil." She paused. "Think of the outcome of every single date I've ever gone on." She paused again, giving Lilyanne time to think. "Now, do you really think that I would want to go on a date ever again? Especially alongside you and Jack, with all of your lovey dovey perfectness."

"C'mon, Emilia. Please?" Lilyanne begged her sister.

"No. And that's my final decision." Emilia trudged up the staircase to the second floor.