Chapter Five -- Rhys

A/N: Hey! Sorry for not updating for a while (4 months, I know). But I've been trying to figure out exactly how this story is going to work, chapter balances, and character development, and I've just had a lot going on in my life in general. Thank you so much if you're reading this. I really appreciate it :). 

Bulky arms push on my shoulders, trying to get me to the ground. I keep my firm grip on the ball and keep running, dodging as many of the green vests as I can. My eyes wander away from the field and up towards Noelle sitting on the stands, patiently waiting for me to finish practice. I shake my head free of all other thoughts than those of football and keep putting one foot in front of the other. I pass the ball to 17 and watch her arm raise and fall as she throws the ball. My eyes follow it sailing through the air and as soon as it enters the end zone, I collapse on the ground, my legs unable to hold themselves anymore. Sweaty faces begin to surround my sore body lying on the ground, they tease and point and whisper. I manage to lift myself from the ground. I run up to Noelle sitting in the stands.

"What's the point of you pushing each other on the ground?" She asks me with a curious expression on her face.

"That's part of the game," I explain as I sit down on the bleachers beside her.

"Can you not play without the pushing and shoving part?" She pushes.

"I mean, I guess you could." I shrug my shoulders, not wanting to think much about it. I check my watch. "Let's go get juice,"

She checks her watch. "Yeah, I guess it's time."

I give her a small smile and lead the way towards Clementine's, the closest juice shop.

"Do you want to see a movie tonight? A new one came out the other day that I've been wanting to see," I look at her hopefully. If I went to the movies alone, I would be triple the loser I already am.

I refuse to sit through one of those gross slasher flicks again," she said, literally crossing her arms.

The last time we'd gone to see a movie she'd nearly doubled over in the aisle. Horror was not her thing.

"Actually, I had a romance in mind."

"You?" She pauses. "You want to see a romance?" She knits her eyebrows. I nod my head quickly. "I guess I'll come." I pump my fist. My pace quickens as I continue down the sidewalk. I throw a quick glance over my shoulder and see Noelle jogging to catch up with me. She falls into step beside me, and I slow down.

"Where are you going? It's this way," She points in the direction of Clementine's.

"Shortcut." I reply simply and start walking down a narrow pathway. She shrugs her shoulders and follows me. Bushes surround the pathway, brushing against my legs as I walk with Noelle following closely behind.

"Rhys, now my legs are all scratched up," she complains, looking down at her legs.

"I'm sorry, but you'll live. Aren't you glad we took the shortcut?" I offer her a small smile, knitting my eyebrows ever so slightly.

"I guess so," she rolls her eyes.

"Come on," I offer peace, holding the door open for her as she steps inside.

"You want to go first?" She asks me.

"You can go ahead,"

"Okay, thank you." I nod my head and watch her walk over to the scanner. She steps on, waits ten seconds, and then steps off. I do the same thing and then join her in the line. "So what time is the movie?" She looks at me expectantly.

"8:00 tonight."

"Rhys, I'd have to sneak out in order to go." Her lips purse. She pauses. "I've never snuck out before."