Chapter 5

Alice's POV

Picture Is Alpha Carter!!

I ran out of the office and went straight to the front door. I threw the door open and ran into my mom so hard that we both fell down on the front porch and I rolled down the two steps onto the pavement. I had tears streaming down my face but I didn't stop to get any comfort from her, even though she saw me and called after me once I had gotten up and ran from the house. I was a monster, I didn't deserve her condolences. I hurt somebody and I will not let myself be comforted, no matter how miserable I felt about it.

I don't know where I was, I hadn't had time to explore and find out about where I was now living, so I ran with no destination in mind. I ran even after I felt the sun turn to deep grey clouds and heard the thunder. I knew that if I didn't calm down, the lightning and rain would not be far off. If it started raining and I was caught outside in it, I would get my tail and I wouldn't be able to get rid of it unless I got out of the rain, or I made the rain stop. I wasn't near the beach at the moment so I ran into a group of dense trees in order to hide myself from prying eyes.

I knew the rain was coming, there was no way that I would be able to stop it, but if I was not freaking out about being seen, I could prevent a monsoon. I felt the first rain drop just as I got to the edge of the tree line. I sped up as much as possible because the further I got into the trees, the less likely it was that I would be seen. I made it about ten more feet before my legs gave out and I was laying on the ground with a green and gold tail. I laid on the ground and just wanted to scream my misery to the heavens, but I was scared that I would give my hiding spot away.

I was tired. I was so tired of being scared of myself. It wasn't fair. I wanted people to like me, but I was scared to have people around me. What if I hurt them? Just because it was an accident doesn't change the fact that it happened. Nobody would ever understand what I'm going through, not even my mom. She may be a mermaid like me, but at the end of the day, I'm the only one that can control the weather. I have to be calm all of the time, or bad things happen. That in itself is a lot of pressure. Maybe that's just how it's going to be though, maybe i'm meant to be alone, I just wish that being alone didn't have to be so lonely.

Nate's POV

My dad and I started barking orders, no pun intended, as soon as he realized what was going on. "I need every tracker and every other available person we have, outside in the back in five minutes. It's an emergency regarding my sons mate, so be fast." He yelled through the mind link. Everybody was outside and ready to go in the span of three minutes and my dad began his speech. "My son has found his mate! However, she's a mermaid," the crowd gave many gasps and some growls of displeasure.

"She's one of the most powerful supernaturals in the world, so have extreme caution if you find her. She can control the weather based on her emotions and she is obviously upset." He said while looking up at the clouds in distaste. "We need to find her and help her calm down or this could possibly turn into the worst storm that the world has ever seen. If anybody finds her, you are to notify my son, Jane, or myself immediately. Everyone needs to be in groups of two or three, as I said before, she's one of the most powerful supernaturals and if she proves to be a danger, I want people to have numbers to back each other up and protect yourselves. We start looking now, we must move quickly!"

When the pack members dispersed and all ran in different directions, my dad pulled my mom and I aside. "The three of us are going to look together. I linked the principle of the school and got her address, so now we have a place to start looking." He pulled my mom and I down the beach, the same direction she had run off in when she left. "Shouldn't we take the car, dad? Wouldn't it be faster?" I question. He looks back at me and winks. "She lives about eight blocks down the road. If we're on foot, we will be more likely to see her that we will if we are in the car. Come on, we have to go now!"

He looked up at the sky in time to see the first flash of lightning and the sound of thunder that came right after it. We ran down the road as fast as we possibly could, which was pretty fast if you can imagine. My mom was the first to get to her house and was also the first to see the woman in a black pants suit and stilettos leaning on the white picket fence at the end of the driveway. The woman was holding her head and I could smell and see all of the blood leaking through her fingers.

My mom ran up to her and grabbed her shoulder with one hand and put her other hand over the top of the woman's hand that was holding her head. "Oh my god," my mom said loudly, "what happened to you? Are you alright?" The woman looked up at us and smiled. "I'm fine, I bumped into my daughter when she was running out of the house. It's not as bad as it looks, head injuries always bleed a lot." I gasped when I saw her eyes, they were the exact same as Alice's. "You," I whispered but she still heard, "your Alice's mom," I took a whiff of the air when the wind blew towards me. "And you're a mermaid. Like her."

Her eyes got big and she stepped away from my mom. "I know what you are too, wolf," she took a shaky breath and made eye contact with my dad. "We don't want any trouble, I didn't know that supernaturals lived around here or I wouldn't have moved us here. We just want to be left alone, nobody has to get hurt." She said calmly. I looked at my dad and he was giving her a hard stare. "Your daughter, Alice," he started off, "I know she is the one causing this storm. She's a danger to all of us and if she wasn't my son's mate," he gestured to me and her jaw dropped. "We would have already killed her and come for you."

She stepped back, obviously startled and distrusting. "If you'll excuse me, I need to find my daughter before something bad happens to her." She turned around and started to walk down the sidewalk, away from us. I glared at my dad, how could he say something like that to my mate's mom? I couldn't say anything to him about it though, he was still the alpha and I couldn't be disrespectful to him. I ran up behind her and gently grabbed her wrist. "Wait. What do you mean 'before something bad happens?' I can help you look for her."

She gave me a weird look and pulled her wrist out of my hand. "I don't need your help to find my daughter," she emphasized the my in her sentence, pointing out that she was getting defensive, "As far as I'm concerned, this is absolutely none of your business." She turned and walked away again. "Please," I pleaded with her, "she's my mate. Doesn't that mean anything to you?" She stopped walking and her shoulders slumped down. "Come on. If we don't hurry, she will get caught in the rain and it's imperative that it does not happen."

Just then, a raindrop fell. "Oh god..." she whispered, panicked. My mom looked at her and then up at the clouds. "What would happen if she's out in the rain? Why would it be such a bad thing?" The woman made eye contact with my mom and started talking shakily. "When her and I get wet, we get our tails. If we are out in the open, everyone would know what we are. We are already too late, as soon as I get hit with a raindrop, it will only be a matter of seconds before I have my tail. Now, let's go! She's not stupid, she knows that the rain will be coming, so I know that she wont stay on the road, she will hide and try to calm herself down enough to stop the rain. Do you know of any spots like that close to here?"

My dad nodded his head. "Down the road, the forest starts up. If she made it that far, once she's in the trees, it will be nearly impossible for someone to see her unless they are looking for her." She nodded her head. "Then that's where we will look first, thank you."