Lena's Loves

Hi guys, this was my very rushed entry to the 'Lena's Loves' writing competition that Author Lauren Oliver held in celebration of the release of her new short story 'Alex' for the Delirium series. Delirium is the book that started it all for me; my love of books, writing and dystopian fiction- a genre I hope to write one day. Its a beautiful story about love, but with a twist. Seriously give it a go, its amazing!

Hope you like this short story..
EE xoxo

-

I saw her with him and my blood boiled, my soul vibrated with betrayal and my very being felt wrong- off kilter, out of time from the background music that had once been our love; the connection we shared.
I am not completely sure if the term 'shared' is appropriate, am I correct in referral of a time now passed? I feel as if we still have a connection. However, whether or not its the same connection we once had is the question that reverberates through my mind.
"Lena," I call, and watch the smile her beautiful face held as she talked to him fall at the recognition of my voice.
She fell for me once. And I her. But now the only things falling are her smiles and my heart, as if in the endless vacuum of space; never ending- a constant sensation of falling. Of feeling as if my feet are never- and will never- be planted firmly on the ground; of my breath not quite being held, but nor being released, my chest always hollow.
"Yes?" She asks, her hand on his arm, as if she NEEDS to touch him. As if the friction of their skin gives her comfort.
I look at her, into her eyes, no words forming in my mouth.
Why had I called her name?
I hadn't said it in so long, I think I just needed to hear it- needed to see if my voice still sounded, and felt, the same as the syllables fell off my tongue and sped out my lips.
"Alex, did you need something?"
Yes.
You.
"No." I say curtly, and see her face twist in confusion as I turn away.
She is confused. As am I.
I do not fully comprehend my actions until I have returned to my room again, leaning my weight against the bolted door to support my weak frame.
I love her.
I always have. And I always will.
I want her happy. But he makes her happy.
Can I survive her happiness?