Chapter 17

"He wants you to meet his parents?" Renee squeals through the phone.

"Yeah, well his dad and some other people from his family."
I answer.

"Okay well, I'm happy for you girl, but I would still be cautious because I find it hard to believe that someone could change their ways that fast."

"Yeah, I see where you're coming from. I'll be careful but I do believe he has changed."

I put the phone on speaker and place it on the dresser. I decide to start straightening my hair now because it will take a long time.

"Okay, girl. I gotta go to work. I was supposed to be off today but they called me in anyway. I'll talk to you later."
Renee explains.

"Okay, bye."

"Bye."

Renee hangs up. I grab the flat iron out the closet and plug it into the socket. I sit on the floor in front of the full length mirror and start to section my hair. I start with the shortest part. I had an undercut. It would be longer if I hadn't continued to cut it.  The hairdryer is in the bathroom so I get that and run the comb attachment through my hair.

My hair is finished and I examine to see if there is anymore curls. When I see that there isn't any, I unplug the flat iron and shove it back into the closet. I pick up the hair dryer and my phone. When I get into the bathroom, my phone starts to ring and it causes me to jump.

"Hello?"

"Hey, honey." Mom says.

"Hey."

"Please go see if we have chicken in the freezer and if I we do, take it out please."

"Okay. Wait Mom, I'm going to Darrin's house for Dinner, remember?"

"Yes, I remember. That's why it's not for you."

What?

"Who is it for?"

"None of your business." She laughs.

I go downstairs and into the kitchen.

"Okay?"

I take the chicken out of the freezer and place it into the sink.

"Okay, I took it out."

"Thank you. I'll see you tonight. I love you."

"Love you too."

Mom hangs up. Is she planning on having someone over tonight? I don't really care but my mom doesn't really talk about anybody from work so it threw me off. I have two hours until the dinner. I have no idea what I am gonna wear but I don't even think about it and  sit down on the couch. Netflix doesn't have really any good movies anymore. I decide on Hairspray but I have to stop half way through so I can find something to wear. I don't want to wear basketball shorts to meet his family. That's really all I wear so I am pleased when I find some blue jeans that I have never wore before. I also find a black fitted shirt. It looks like a baby can wear it. I forget how small I am sometimes because all I wear is big clothes.

Darrin pulls into the driveway and steps out as soon as he parks. His eyes rake up and down my body but I do the same. He looks so much better than I do in his black t-shirt and ripped jeans. 'We're kinda matching.' I let out a little laugh. It's kinda cute.

"That was cute." He says, taking my hand.

"What was?" I ask.

"The giggle. You should do it more often."

To try to hide my blushing, I blurt out:
"We're matching!"

Darrin looks down at his fit and when he looks back up, he smiles and takes me in his arms.

"You're so cute." He says into my hair.

I close my eyes and embrace his sweet smell. He releases me and investigates my face. He seems to notice something.

"Why'd you straighten your hair?" He asks.

"You don't like it?" I looked up at him,

His eyes grow wide.
"No, I do! I just think the curls are prettier."

"Okay. I'll remember that. Can we go now? It's kinda cold."

Darrin kisses my forehead and open the door on my side before heading to the drivers side. I came to the realization that I am really going to meet this boy's family. It seems like everything happened so fast. Am I getting ahead of myself? His smiling eyes never fade and I really want to do right by him. I can't help but think about how he was before now. I never thought people could change. It's only been what? A few weeks? Is this gonna work out? I want it too. Do high school relationships even last? In all reality, probably not but I want this to. Looking over at him as we pass under the tunnel, the orange light bounces off his skin. He's beautiful. He knows it. I feel like I don't fit next to him. He probably knows that. He should be with someone prettier. Someone in the same "rank" as him. I grow insecure and try to push the thought out but it lingers. A frown grows on my face but I didn't notice until Darrin calls it out. I have a feeling he was calling me before but I couldn't hear him.

"Aaliyah?"

"Yeah? Sorry. What did you say?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, perfect."

"You're doing it again."

"Doing what?"

"Lying."

"I'm not."

"Yes."

"Fine. I'm scared to meet your parents." I lie.

"That's not it."

"Oh my god! Why can't you believe me?" I yell.

"Because you keep lying. Now what is wrong?"

"Darrin, we don't fit." I finally admit.

"What?"

"Look at you and look at me. The difference."

"What are you saying, exactly?"

"I'm scared you could be taken from me any day right from out of my hands."

A deep sigh slips from his mouth and his voice is low.

"That won't happen."

"How do you know that? Actually, don't answer that but answer this: what do you see when you look at me?"
Tears start to form in my eyes.

"I see a beautiful girl who I'd give up everything for and I know I only known you for a short amount of time but Aaliyah you brought something different in my life. I actually care about something. I actually care about someone. Nothing is going to change that. I'm not leaving."

I sit in silence as we pull into a house big enough to be a mansion. A tall man stands in the doorway as Darrin gets out and opens my door. The man flashes a smile at me and I knew at that moment who he was. Darrin's father. They have the same bright smile and dimple. Yeah, I'm scared to death. I take a deep breath as Darrin grabs my hand and pulls me toward the door.

"It's gonna be great. They'll love you."
He reassures me. I'm still not so sure.