Five

I had to go back to Maya's house to get my Activa where I could not stop my stream of 'thank you'.

Somehow, I feel different. The not-so-good kind of different. I feel like the damaged good.

Maya told me to take care and by far this was the nicest thing she ever told me. When I was about to go away, Maya slowly said, almost hesitantly "Are you going to tell your parents?"

I shuddered at the thought. I was sure if I told my parents, they would blame me. My Activa would be snatched. I would probably get grounded. "I don't think so."

She nodded, "Call if you need anything."

Call if you need anything? Where was the Maya rebel?

Nevertheless, I said my farewell and drove off.

My mother was usual. Admonishing, grumbling the way she did. On ordinary days I didn't mind, but tonight they pierced through me like red-hot spears.

Eventually, it was time for a repose. I lay down on the bed, my eyes on the ceiling. Staring blindly. Staring, staring, staring. Flashbacks ran through my head like a cassette on repeat. The suffocating feeling, the fear burning me up from inside. Hurting like hell.

The question bubbling in my head was why me?  What have I done? Had I not dressed right? Had I not been careful enough? Was it my fault to be out in the evening all on my own?

After what felt like ages, I looked at the clock. A little past midnight.

A bead of cold sweat ran down my forehead despite the fact that winter was already knocking on the door.

I could not take it. I needed help. Desperately. 

I picked my phone and looked at the first name on the caller history. Mortal Enemy.

It didn't sound right now. Not anymore. I changed the name to Maya. There.

I hesitated. It was midnight. But I knew I would end up hurting myself if I didn't act fast.

Maya picked up the phone pretty quick. "Hello."

"Hi Maya."

"Is everything alright?"

"Actually, no. Can't sleep."

"How should I help you?" her words were carefully proclaimed, impudence dissipated.

I thought. "I want to talk."

"Alright, want me to come over?"

"Wait, what?" what was this girl talking about?

"I can sneak in through your window."

"You are talking as if you have been here before."

There was a short silence, "I know where your house is. I'll call you after reaching there."

"How do you know?" I responded, astonished.

"Uh, I'll explain later. Do you have a window in your room?"

"Well, yeah."

"Ok, see you soon,"

A few moments later the phone vibrated. I had silenced it just in time.

I ran to the window and opened it as silently as I could.

I waved at Maya. She smiled and cut the call.

She hopped over the wall, like it was a mere line.

Then, dexterously climbing over pipes and window sills, she reached me.

The gripped side window and pulled herself inside.

After all of this, there was a gentle smile on her face as she spoke to me.

"How are you doing?"

"Uhm ..."

She chuckled softly, "Nevermind." She looked around, "May I have an introduction to your room."

I smile, "Sure. Maya this is my bedroom. Bedroom meet Maya."

A gentle laugh escaped her lips. I glanced at the door of my room, "Maya, we've got to be quiet or else I'm dead."

Maya nodded, "You're right, dude."

Maya noiselessly dragged a chair beside my bed and I snuggled in my blanket.

"You must be feeling cold, want some warm blankets," I said looking at the huddled up Maya.

"No, it's fine, we have more important tasks at hand."

She paused.

"What do you want to do?"

I considered, "I want to talk."

Maya nodded, "I am ready to listen."

Then I started slowly. First the words came out slowly, like drops coming out of a leaking pipe. Then I gained speed and they stumbled out, like water spraying out of a burst pipe. All feelings rushing out until I was completely open. Unleashed.

Maya listened attentively, nodding understandingly. She was a good listener, prodding me to speak everything out, saying the right things at the right time.

By the end I realized there were tears leaking out of my eyes.

I wiped them away hastily.

"You have been so brave."

"I wasn't careful enough," I said.

Her eyebrows were knitted into a frown, "Don't blame yourself. It wasn't your fault, you know."

I looked down quietly at my hands.

"You did all you could and you saved yourself. You are brave, stronger than you think," I could see a glint in her eyes, "We have made sure he never dares trouble another girl."

I raised my head, "Maya, can I ask you something?"

"Mmhm."

"How did you- why erm, I mean you gathered so many people in such a short span of time. It seems you have done this many times."

Maya nodded.

"Why?" I whispered.

Maya looked out of the window, unseeingly.

"You said that you all lost someone," I prodded.

Maya sucked her lips inside, "Can we please talk about it later?"

I knew I had pushed her a bit too much, so I retreated. 

Then out of the blue Maya spoke, her voice harsh, "Men don't weep they say. Girls don't weep either. They fight back."

Something clicked in my head, "Maya, that's it!"

"What's it?" Maya asked, confounded.

"The beginning of our speech. Maya, you're a genius!"

"Oh," Maya gave a sheepish smile.

We talked a bit more, until a stifled yawn escaped my lips at half past one.

"You're sleepy. I'd suggest you to close your eyes and take some rest."

I nodded and snuggled up inside my blanket. I felt my eyelids getting heavier and Maya's ex-cogitative face was the last thing I saw before I passed out.