A Light at the End of the Tunnel

[0123]

We decided to pause briefly out of respect for our fallen friend, Jargon.

The fall from that ladder has still left me completely and utterly lost… I’m having a hard time recollecting who I am and what my purpose is. Everything that has happened so far has seemed unreal… and terrible. Everyone I travel with seems to be coming more and more distant as we travel – any relationship I seem to have had with them before is all but dissolved now. Since my knowledge of who they are eludes me I’m not sure how to remedy the situation – but worse than that, I feel the same feeling coming over me.

This place makes you forget. Everything around us has its own sad story about what it’s been through. I can hear the walls speaking as we move through them. The water drops and moaning of weight bearing down on them tells a story that’s been 20 years in the making; one of betrayal, tragedy, and suffering.

These people look up to me like I’m some sort of god among men. I’d hate to see the disappointment on their faces if they were to learn that I’m on the verge of insanity just like they are. But there are these “abilities” I have. I don’t think I had them before as they feel… untrained.

Whatever our fate I’ll just be happy to finally be out of here and back to my home. Do I have a home? Does anyone love me and expect me back? I hope my questions will be answered before this place buries the answers forever.

{Excerpt from Phantom’s PDA}

[Begin audio]

*Phantom’s boots clink as he shuffles slowly across a metal catwalk near some sort of large machine next to him. The tears on his face, streaking through the dirt have already attracted enough dirt to be completely visible on the surface. He walks aimlessly on, barely remembering where he is going and what his mission is.

He passes by rooms, glancing slowly at the numbers as he walks by. Every shift of his eyes are heavy and painful. It feels like half his soul is gone and the other half is attempting to compensate, barely keeping his legs moving in the process.

“Room 4b”

This is the one. He approaches the dirty window and looks inside. The room is silent as death. Everything is covered in a thick layer of dust, masking the various objects littering the room. He slowly turns the knob on the door. Dust falls from door frame as the door slowly creaks open. Dim light from the hall enters the room. A stirring sound comes from inside. Phantom snaps back to reality for a moment to bring up his gun and point his headlamp around the room.*

Phantom: H… hello?

*The sound of dirt scratching across the surface of the floor comes from somewhere in the room. Phantom points his headlamp towards the noise. The light passes over a boot coming from what looks like a supply closet of some sort. He follows the boot up to a leg, then a body, and then a face.*

Phantom: Kateryna?

*The boot retracts slowly back into the supply closet as the body props itself against the wall of the closet. The eyes slowly open.*

Kateryna: Brother? Is that you?

Phantom: Yes It’s me! Oh my God I thought I’d never see you again!

*Phantom rushes over to his sister and hugs her. She returns the embrace weakly.*

Phantom: There’s so many questions I have and so much to tell you. I don’t even know where to begin. But you… how did you get here? Tell me everything.

Kateryna: It… it seems like such a blur now…

*Kateryna coughs and gags.*

Phantom: Here… have some food. When was the last time you ate?