Diabolik lovers fan book: world guide

1. The world view in the “Diabolik Lovers” anime

The six Sakamaki brothers living in the dark, seeking the young maiden Yui’s fresh blood. What exactly are these Vampires whose story has been told over and over? What is the Sakamaki household like? Nagatsu Haruko, the person in charge of the anime’s visual composition, will talk about the world in which these inhuman characters live!

2. The Vampires’ appearance in Dialovers

Vampires have made an appearance in many fictional works to this day, but the six Sakamaki brothers are an entirely new kind of Vampires. While they are immortal and have lived for up to a hundred years, seeking blood, they are capable of living a lifestyle similar to that of humans. When you put it like that, they might be closer to humans than you would think. 

In recent Western media and such, there are other examples in which Vampires have been portrayed as closer to humans, but the Sakamaki brothers are extremely human-like vampires as well. However, they are only ‘human-like’ and not actually human. This unable to overcome gap between humans and themselves gives birth to a sense of melancholy. 

3. A Vampire’s weakness

The usual weaknesses of a Vampire such as ‘crosses’ and ‘garlic’ do not work on the Sakamaki brothers either. It seems like they are Vampires who have evolved through time. 

4. Quote

“These beautiful yet terrifying Vampires who suck the sweet blood of the bride and gain access to the King’s throne through her awakening.”

5. Keyword 1: Sacrificial Bride

The heroine Yui is one of them as well, but young human girls are sent to the Sakamaki manor as ‘sacrifical brides’. A ‘sacrificial bride’ slowly turns into a Vampire herself by having their blood sucked by the Sakamaki brothers. It seems like drinking the blood of a ‘bride’ who is amidst this transformation gives the Vampires a special kind of strength. 

In case of the Sakamaki brothers, if they win over a ‘bride’ who has completed the Vampire transformation, they will earn the power to be able to stand up against their father who is the current ruler.

6. Keyword 2: Awakening

The process of a bride fully turning into a Vampire is called the ‘awakening’. Up until Yui, all the other brides were regular humans so their body could not withstand the transformation into a Vampire, leaving them unable to ‘awaken’, instead being turned into familiars or wax dolls. 

By the way, Yui’s body was able to withstand the ‘awakening’ because she has Cordelia’s heart inside of her. On top of that, her blood is Cordelia’s as well, giving the Sakamaki brothers an even greater amount of strength, which is why in the second half of the story, the brothers flock around Yui and continuously assault her.

When Yui stabs herself in episode 11, even if the ‘human’ side of Yui were to die at that moment, her body which holds Cordelia’s heart would not perish. That’s how Cordelia was easily able to take control of her body.