Chapter 2

Where...?

I look up at the ceiling.

A CEILING!?

I bolt up and look around me, a startled man in with patched up clothing.

"Oh, I see you've woken up. How are you feeling?" He asks me. I recognise him as the man that we're giving dead bodies fake limbs.

"You're the man who was giving fake limbs to dead bodies on the field." I point to him.

"Well yes-I" The door suddenly slides open and a young emotionless boy around my age walks in holding a dead rabbit.

"Hyakkimaru, you're back." The man smilies softly. Hyakkimaru places the rabbit on the stone table near the front. No response, no blinking.

I look at him arms.

His arms are fake too, and his leg. Did he lose them in battle or something? But' he's so young.

I look at him cluelessly, he goes back outside and shuts the door behind him.

"Ah, that boy."The man shakes his head. He hands me a bowl of rice.

"Eat, you did collapse from starvation after all."He chuckles.

Now that me mentions it...

"Ah! Where's Abu!?" I yell with a full mouth as I remember him.

"He's right over there." He points to Abu, sleeping soundly in the corner.

"Thank god." I mutter as I continue to eat the rice.

"I'm Jukai, a doctor that makes prosthese for people." He introduces himself.

"I'm (Y/n)." I say, he raises a brow.

"Just (Y/n)? Where did you come from?" He asks me as he brings over a small salted fish.

"I'm from a village on the outskirts of Daigo, it was-" I stop chewing for a second as the memories come back to me.

"It was burned down." I look down and chew slowly.

"I see." Jukai leans back.

"Do you have anywhere else to go?" He asks me, I bite my lip and shake my head a no.

"It's alright, you can stay here with us." He smiles warmly. I look up with bright eyes.

"Really!?" I exclaim.

"Of course, your dog can too." He smiles.

"Thank you so much! I'll make sure that I won't let you down." I smile. He pauses.

"What do you mean?" He questions.

"I'll have to work here if I want to make myself useful right?" I smile.

"Ah, I was thinking more of just collecting herbs and helping me set food on the table." He smiles sheepishly.

"It's alright I'll do that. I can also hunt, wash, clean, cook and collect firewood."I answer happily as I finish my bowl of rice and fish.

"Wah, so a little girl like you can hunt?" He chuckles.

"Yeah, just like that Hyakkimaru bringing in a dead rabbit. I can hunt, and I'm better with a bow, but I can use this." I take out my short hand katana.

"Do you know how to use that?" He questions me with slight concern.

"Of course, I was trained to use weapons." I answer.

"Ah, I see. How about we start with skinning the rabbit?" Jukai asks in deep thought.

"Alright!"