Prologue

The room oozed of smoke, hard liquor and tension thick as tar. Popped bottles, fresh ash, burnt food, undercooked pizza, thousands of scattered cards, drunk laughs, poker chips, spilled drinks, messy hair, cigars, cigarettes, and joints. She was home early. The loud music did not come as a surprise. She had come home to parties she'd have to shut down before. Often. Exhaustion hiding in her eyes, making a great effort to force her eyelids together, she dragged her heavy body towards the living room.

Falling keys, bewildered eyes, shocked heart, galloping thoughts, windswept hair, drenched clothes, lifeless shoulders. She saw them. In his arms, he held everything but her. The complete opposite. He held a blazing star, the kind the moon could never become. His hands coarsely entangled in shining locks in a way so different from the way he always so tenderly touched her. His lips in a fierce battle unlike the kind of gentle kisses he had shared with her. His body stuck like a crashed meteor, pressed close so distant from how lightly he had held her.

Turning heads, open-mouthed stares, rolling tears, calling names, white noise, creaking floorboards, numbness, soundless cries. He saw her. Standing in the middle of the archway. Both motionless. She turned on her heel, heading straight back the way she had come. He pushed himself away and rushed with long strides to her. Overcome with shock, she had no words to spare for him. No matter his desperate attempts, she just stared at him. He cared not for her but for himself. His own needs, his own desires. Intoxication had become an addiction, and with it followed all the forbidden dreams, all the things he pledged never to do, the lands he swore not to tread.

Glazed eyes, promises devoid of honesty, flying liquids, shattered glass, broken hearts, crippled trust, various profanities slipping, a clear and definite end. She slammed the door and skittered down the few steps until she met the sidewalk. He chased her outside, his wavering legs in no condition to catch up. With obscured vision, she kept on walking, wiping away tears with the back of her hands in vain.

Blinding headlights, car horns, screeching tires.

And she was gone.