Chapter 1

Two weeks after your brother had been struck by a lightning, you met Dr Harrison Wells for the first time. You wanted to see Barry, who had been brought to S.T.A.R. Labs three days ago, on Dr Wellses wish. When you entered the room where they kept your unconscious brother, Dr Wells was sitting in his wheelchair next to the bed. A small smile appeared on his lips as soon as he noticed you. "You must be Barrys sister, Y/N Allen. Pleasure to meet you, Miss Allen." You took his outstretched hand and shook it. "Just Y/N, please. And it's a pleasure for me too, Dr Wells. I have always been a huge fan of you and your work." His piercing blue eyes wouldn't let go of your gaze. It was as if he tried to get into your brain. "I suppose you are not anymore, as one of my recent masterpieces almost killed your brother.", Wells answered absent minded. Finally, you were able to unlock your gaze from his. You looked at Barry instead. "I cannot really blame you. I think if I had been as far as you with the particle accelerator, I would have started it too, ignoring any possible risks." A small smile made its way to his lips. "You study physics, don't you?" That question got you by surprise. "How do you know?" He shrugged. "Time by time I talk to the president of the Central City University. I like to know if there are upcoming geniuses around. Mr. Delaware mentioned you more than once, his eyes basically shining of proud." He took a small break before he popped the next question. "How old are you, Y/N?" Something about this interrogation sent a shiver down your spine. He had something on his mind, you were sure about that. "Twenty-two, Dr Wells. Why are you asking?" He looked at you for a long time before he gave you an answer. "I want to make you an offer. You just completed your bachelor's degree. To get through the master and write your doctoral thesis will take you another four years. I could teach you this stuff and a lot more in less than six months. Join my team, Y/N. Become a member of S.T.A.R. Labs and achieve things you are never going to achieve as a normal physicist. Be as great as you are able to be, don't let your abilities drown in the mass of all those normal, ungifted people." Your eyes found his again. Now a smile made it also to your lips. "I like how you think, Dr Wells. First you tell me to hate you, because one of your experiments failed and almost killed my brother, and two minutes later you try to convince me about how great you and your team are." Wells chuckled and shook his head. "I never said I wanted you to hate me. I just said I would understand if you did so." You nodded. "Well... I can't really hate someone who tried to make our world a better one, even if he failed." Then, you got up, gave Barry a kiss on the forehead and walked towards the door. Before leaving the room, you turned around. "I'll think about your offer, Dr Wells."

You started at S.T.A.R. Labs as Dr Wellses intern. By the time Barry woke up from his coma, you had already been promoted to his personal assistant. From that day on, you followed him everywhere, you were the one who made him coffee, who cleaned up his office after he messed it up in a tantrum, who drove him around and got him food whenever he was forgetting to eat again, completely absorbed in his work. Yes, you were sort of his babysitter (as Caitlin used to say, Cisco preferred the term "slave"), but you were also the one he told everything about his newest ideas and inventions. Whatever came to his mind, you were always the first one to know about it. He taught you as no professor of your university would have been able too. He hadn't been lying when he had told you that with him, you would learn things six times faster. And six times better. Harrison Wells was also the first person who truly believed in you and your abilities. He made you feel proud of yourself. In hindsight, I think it was this pride that made you blind.

As soon as Barry started to catch other metahumans, Dr Wells decided that you were ready to join the team as a full member, yet he refused to give you up as his personal assistant. He said he enjoyed your company and didn't want to miss the small chats that you had from time to time anymore. They weren't about physics or science at all, just two normal people talking to each other about their everyday life. You never understood why, but you and Wells came along very well, almost too well for two people of your age difference. None of you bothered, though. So, you ended up spending even more time at S.T.A.R Labs, more time with the team, of which you had grown rather fond of, and most of all more time on Dr Wellses side.