𝐈𝐭'𝐬 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐚 𝐝𝐚𝐭𝐞

"Right," I say into the phone. "Tomorrow night?" Madi and I had been on the phone since twelve, talking about this party she wants to do when her parents leave to Michigan for a whole week.
As she's talking, I hear a noise downstairs making me sit up on my bed. "Madi, hold on I'll call you right back." I say before hanging up.

I assumed my parents were home but it was a Friday night and they usually never came home on the weekend, or ever for that matter. I turn on the lights before reaching the door, watching two male figures outside the glass door. When the doorknob rattles I jump. "Hello?" Four? I furrow my eyebrows as I look out the peephole to see Four with what looked like a drunk Jaque.

"You've got to be kidding me." I mumble under my breath. I open the door before punching in the code to prevent the alarm from going off. This alarm has come in handy so many times whenever there's an attempt for a break in.

Or just my brother coming home drunk and forgetting to shut the alarm off. Cops have came here twice because of him.

"I've got your child." He says, clearly annoyed making me step aside for him to come in.

"Guys, I could really go for a pizza." Jaque slurs
making me shake my head as I lead Four up to his room. We throw him onto his bed and he groans. "I'm not tired!" Jaque says, slapping my hand away as I was about to put the blanket over him.

"Jaque, it's three in the morning and you're drunk. Go to sleep." I seethe but he only pushes me away and walks to his bathroom. I sigh in annoyance and push my hair away from my face.
"I didn't even notice he left." I say. I was busy studying for my chemistry exam all day. "How did he get there?"

"Thomas probably picked him up." Four shrugs.

"You mean you weren't there?"

"Why would I be there? Do I look like the type to party and get drunk?"

Is he serious? "Um, yes." I state, cringing when I hear Jaque start to puke in the bathroom. I take that as my cue to exit his room with Four behind me.

He closes the door. "That's very judgmental of you. I don't do those things, not for fun at least. I was only there last time because—" he stops himself. "You know what? That's none of your business."

I raise my eyebrows before I scoff and cross my arms. "Right, so thanks for bringing him."

"By the way, he spilled vodka on my favorite shirt because I tried to drag him out of there." He says. "On purpose."

"You sure do wear that black shirt often." He was always wearing black. "I can see why it'd be your favorite."

"It's called multiple black shirts. But I guess not everyone has a sense of style." He mocks me. It seems like all of our short conversations consist of us mocking each other. I wasn't sure how to feel about this.

"I'm glad that you took him out of that place." He's about to speak but I beat him to it. "Although, I don't know why you insist on taking care of him. He's not your responsibility. I mean, I know he's my responsibility but even I don't care that much."

He shrugs. "You seem like you have a lot on your hands." Our eyes meet and he corrects himself. "Dealing with him and all."

"You don't even know me, Four. What makes you say that?" I remark with the raise of my eyebrow.

"Has anyone ever told you you're pretty defensive?" He smirks. "And stubborn as fuck." He adds.

"And what's it to you?" I bite back.

"You know if we knew each other, we wouldn't be having conversations like this." Here we go again.

"You just don't give up, do you?" He was so persistent, I have never dealt with a guy like him before in my life. Not that I've had many experiences like this, I mean sure I've gone on dates I'm not a total prude. But it's a choice that I stay away from the idiots in high school.

"One thing you must know about me, Jo is I don't give up that easy." he says, reusing my words from yesterday. "You might as well give in and give me what I want."

"You're so annoying." I say making him shrug Before we both walk downstairs. He was right, he was basically helping me babysit Jaque—but for what reason exactly? This guy is new, he looks shady yet he's trying to befriend me and take me out.

Maybe there's no reason, maybe he's just being...nice?

There definitely was something more to this. Nobody is this friendly, especially someone who looks the way he does and is cousins with a drug dealer. I should really stop judging people so much.

I guess to stop him from following me around and popping up everywhere I go, I reckon I should give him a time he'll remember and never want to take me out again. I just want my life to go back to the way it was. Boring and uneventful without some British jerk asking to take me out. "Fine." I say.

"What?" He questions once outside. I realize I hadn't said a word since we reached the door.

"We can go out one time. My friend is having a party Saturday night." I say, mentioning Madi's party.

He nods. "I'll pick you up?"

"Thought you said you didn't like parties?" I smirk, crossing my arms. I caught him in his lie.

He chuckles. "I can make an exception."

"Very well," I say. "Pick me up at nine thirty. If you're here a minute late, consider it done with." I was about to close the door but I speak again. "Oh, and it's not a date." I point out.

"Trust me, I don't consider a high school party a date." He states with a taunting smile making me hum in response. "See you then."