The Last Guardian

Word count target : 500
Type : Flash Fiction/One Shot.

|•|•|•|•

"Jerome!" The King of the underworld roars, his hand flickering toward me.

I stagger as a terrible force hits me.

The same force levitates me until I reach the King's raised chamber.

I quiver. 

Watching the King retract his hand to his side, my feet hits the dark ground in a loud thump, as the force releases me.

Regaining my stamina, I gaze around.

Tall armies clad in dark uniforms sorround the King and the entire place.

The land is covered with several skulls and bones. So, with every step I take, crunchy sounds are released.

On getting to the King, I bow and greet, "All glory and honor be to the King of the underworld."

Facing him, I whimper.

His huge build carries majesty. He is clothed in bones and blood.

The image of my frozen community displays before my eyes. As a result, the same heartache uprises.

Thus, extra vigour settles in me.

"My King, your humble servant has come all the way. Therefore, I pray you honour my humble request."

His husky voice speaks forth, "What is thy request?"

"Freedom."

"Freedom?" He asks.

"It is not new to you, my Lord.." I bow. ".... That the Ellifics casted a spell on the Gemicides — one of the seven sub-kingdoms under the Derkun Underworld that you rule over — immediately the clock had struck twelve, at the beginning of this new year."

"My king, you of all people would know how dangerous the results of such spell could be..." I say, despite my croaky tone.

"A spell that has caused every person in the kingdom to freeze till this fifth day of the year. " I speak. "My heart weeps for my people, my Lord!"

"Therefore, as a guardian - the last guardian standing - of the Derkun Underworld, I come seeking for freedom."

A moment of silence passed — one which spoke volumes and ignited more trepidation in me. Plus a firmer look on the King's features.

Then he broke the silence, "Do you know what it takes?" He grunts.

I sigh.

Then I say, "A soul, I know."

The former image of my kingdom becomes clearer, with every second I stand before the King.

Frosty flakes and hard ice coat the rooftops, roads and every other thing — plus people.

Immediately, my eyes water.

How dare those Ellifics!

I gulp. "I am ready to be sacrificed."

"I will do anything for my people." My hands curl into fists. "Even if it takes losing my life."

Silence.

He glares.

And I silently pray all goes well.

He hums huskily. "Hmm..."

And says, "If you're willing, then so be it."

"A soul for a kingdom, your soul it shall be..." Just like before, he flickers his hands toward me.

His eyes then bore into mine and sucks out life.

I scream as my soul flees.

My body then falls, but not without a smile of victory.

I did it.

I saved my people.