Chapter Eight

Niamh opened her eyes, still feeling groggy. No one sat by her side, and she wondered if she had dreamt it all. Her head pounded and her thigh screamed in pain when she rolled over.

Nope, that was me screaming, she realised.

"O'Callaghan!" Pearse popped into her field of view, his face full of concern.

"Pearse." She nodded, trying to remember why she was in bed, in pain, with Pearse watching over her. "Last I remember, we were sneaking out. Did we get caught?"

Pearse's usual stoic demeanour broke into a grin. "I am glad you are all right, my lady."

Niamh groaned. "Not this again, Pearse. Really."

"Apologies. O'Callaghan. It is good to see you are yourself."

"Who else would I be?"

"I see why Dwendardien had trouble besting you, O'Callaghan," he said, his voice thick.

"Really? I thought he was just putting off the inevitable as a practically-based joke."

She heard Pearse laugh. "There is someone here to see you."

Niamh's heart skipped, thinking surely Killian or Lochlan, or even Myrna had come to see she was awake. She didn't expect her heart to soften when she saw Eamon and his violet eyes sit down on the edge of the bed.

Eamon nodded to Pearse. "Could you give us a moment?"

"Of course," Pearse replied and Niamh heard the door open and close.

Niamh stared at Eamon. Memories of what happened washed over her in waves. Eamon's face was full of concern, but still held a hint of mocking about it.

"You are an idiot," he said.

"Much appreciated. Why especially?" she asked, draping her arm over her eyes.

He smiled. "I told you not to do it."

"It was my duty. I'd have had to face him eventually, Eamon."

"I know," he said so softly she thought she'd heard wrong. "I had just hoped it would not have been so soon and that you would be more prepared." Neither said anything for a while, and he continued, "I knew he would lead you to danger."

"Don't put this on Killian, Eamon," she sighed.

"He is the leader of your fiann, O'Callaghan. It is his duty to protect you...all." He said the last word too late for her to truly believe he'd been thinking about the rest of her fiann.

"He looks out for us. We all thought this would be best. We'd planned it since Donagh told me we were leaving Gryffynhall."

"What?" his tone was sharp and Niamh felt a stab of guilt.

"I knew Dwendardien was coming for me. I thought it was better to save the others and meet him head on." She sighed. "I'd been warned he was powerful...but that... At least I know what I'm up against now."

"You need someone who thinks of your best interests, Niamh."

"I have that someone."

"Who?" he scoffed, sounding sceptical.

"You," she said before she realised what she was saying. She froze, her heart thudding, waiting for him to say something.

"Really? Why do you think that?" His tone was light with humour, but there was also something unfamiliar in it.

She sighed, figuring there was no point in not being honest with him. "You saved me."

"Did I?"

"You followed us and got us out of that fight before we all died. I don't know what happened to us. It was like everyone got the flu all at once."