three

chapter three: friends

"Yew, would you be so kind as to deliver these books to your class?" Mr. Ringabel, or just Ringabel hands Yew a large stack of freshly ordered textbooks, smiling. Yew nods, struggling to lift the heavy books in his arms. Ringabel tuts playfully, "They are a little heavy, so I'd think a strong kid like you would be capable of a task." He winks as he retreats into the librarian's office. Yew lets out a sigh, turns and makes his way out towards the door. His arms grow tired, so he sets the books down on a nearby table.

"At least I can actually read through this," Yew says to himself as he reaches for a new trigonometry book, flipping it open. The pages are pristine and perfect, zero errors (so far). Yew smiles and flips the page, analysing the text that talks about finding a certain degree in specific angles and shapes. Trigonometry is such a unique topic, it teaches you about things you didn't realise you'd need in life. At least, that's what Yew thinks as he turns to the next page.

As he turns the page, a small letter slips out of the book and drops to the table. Yew blinks, sets the book down slowly and grabs for the letter. There's no return address, and it's stamped with the symbol of the Cavaliers, a group of protectors who keep vestals of the crystals safe. Yew tilts his head to the side, curious now. He knows he shouldn't open a random letter, but to find it in his own book? That's pretty questionable. He shrugs it off and opens the letter carefully as to not damage the seal or the envelope.

The letter is illegible, chicken scratch even, and the only words Yew can make out are "Nikolai", "crystals", "deny", and "vendetta". Yew slowly sets the letter down, wide eyed. He has never heard of the name Balestra, but he knows of a Nikolai, who doesn't live on campus but in the town nearby. He's a friendly older man, owns a bookstore that Yew often frequents even after Al-Khampis started printing their own books. They'd cut business with Nikolai, unfortunately, and Yew starts to wonder how he and his business are operating without his deal with the campus.

But the three other words — especially the word "deny", strike Yew as very odd... questionable.

The door to the library swings open and Yew whips his head around, spotting Janne walking in with his small bag over his shoulder. He glances over, meeting Yew's eyes. "Oh, there you are." Yew quickly slides the letter and the envelope into his satchel, his hands shaking and fiddling with the button of his bag. Janne makes his way over and sits across the table, setting his bag down. "I tried looking for you in your class and the clubroom, but I should've checked here first." Janne smiles playfully.

Yew laughs along nervously, brushing his hair away from his eyes as he takes his reading glasses off. "You're in a good mood," he points out with a friendly smile. "Did something happen?"

"You did," Janne admits, blushing faintly. "I passed my exam."

"That's great, Janne!"

"There's more," Janne reaches into his bag and hands Yew a flyer. "I've been accepted into a fencing tournament in Ancheim, this Friday." Yew's smile begins to slowly change fake. Janne continues, "I'm gonna kick some ass, Yew! Just like I promised, I'm using my sword for you!" Yew had never seen Janne so... enthusiastic, so giddy and his smile is much prettier than it has ever been. Normally it's just a wry smirk or a smug grin, but Janne's smile is... it's perfect. It makes Yew's heart drum rapidly in his chest.

"That's... that's cool, Janne!" Yew nods slowly, handing Janne the flyer back. "I'm proud of you."

"Are you gonna come watch?" Janne's eyes seem to sparkle in delight. "You're my... you're my only friend I've got here, Yew, and I'll impress you. I'll make you see what I've been talking about all this time." Janne leans closer to Yew. "And hey, you can always invite Edea. She seems to like you a lot too." He laughs quietly and gives Yew a gentle, playful shove.