Chapter 8

Abhipal's POV

"Not anymore"

          What did she mean by that? Why am I even dwelling on it? It was just an unless bundle of words that she had said in the spur of the moment, but then why was it affecting me this way? I ran along the rooftops more focused on my thoughts then finding human hosts.  Granted I've only been alive for about 30 human days but this still has never happened. Never have I felt so distort, my mind captured by a being that was supposed to be an experiment and nothing more.  

          I stopped overlooking the populated streets of the city. I growled, all these thoughts, all these feelings, have to go away or they might compromise everything. I couldn't though, part of me always was too curious for its own good and right now I wanted to explore the possibilities. I scanned the streets; no humans alone yet, meaning no distractions for me.

          I needed to think, she had said that she wasn't my friend but it did not appear that she had meant it by how she reacted afterward. Some of the stressful feelings went away at that logic. Yet many more emotions remained and the facts only lasted so long. I growled knowing what I had to do. I hadn't planned on returning tonight after the events of the night prior but fate has its plans. 

          I spun around and sprinted in the directions of Clare's home. Within a mile, I caught her calming scent and my body released the tension it had been holding. I bounded faster across the roofs following the scent. Leaping off the roof I landed in the foot holes I had created beneath the window to Clare's sleeping chambers. The window was unlocked to my surprise. She usually locked it, even if I easily broke it every time I entered. 

          I opened the window and a ringing filled my ears. I looked up and attached to the top of the window was a small bell. I smiled, Clare had left the window open but had attached a bell to alert her of my presence. A smart change in my mind and I felt a sliver of respect for the human. I stepped gently on to the bed and listened for Clare's breathing. 

          "Well, are you going to come out or just stay in my bedroom?" Clare asked from the other room. I allowed myself to smile as I entered the white room. Clare was laying out on the couch with a book in her hands. I cocked my head to the side. The only books I had ever seen had been full of information and facts but this didn't seem to be the case for the book she was reading. 

          "What are you reading?" I questioned. She didn't look at me and continued scanning the page. She turned the book's cover in my direction and I read the title. "Why do you want to learn how to kill a feathered creature?" She snorted and looked at me with an amused look. "No no, it has nothing to do with killing birds, Abhipal. It's more along the lines of, exploring human nature," Clare explained. I came up behind her to get a better look at the words. "Must be a very depressing story then," I said. 

          She shrugged, "A little but it's one of the best selling books in history so I might as well read it." "Hmm," I lowered my head so it hovered over Clare's, her scent flooded my senses. She tilted her head back, "I have a question," she stated. "Speak Clare," I said, a little softer at our close proximity. 

          "How can you see, or are you blind?" she asked curiously. My tail flicked as I thought before speaking, "I am not blind, my exoskeleton just blocks my eyes from your view." Clare chewed on her bottom lip, "So like a one-sided mirror." I nodded, that was actually what it was. "All right, " she sat up, "Let's test you then." She turned, sitting crossed legged on the couch facing towards me. "What do I look like?" she said. 

          I was a little confused by her actions but complied, "You are a human female in her late teens, you have brown hair and even darker irises of the same color. You are wearing a blue shirt with writing and jeans." Her eyes widened a bit and her cheeks had gained a tint of pink to them. She looked down at the couch, she almost seemed embarrassed. 

          Neither of us spoke for a minute and Clare said, "This is awkward." I stood up, "Very." I walked into the kitchen and I heard Clare call, "What are you doing?" "Seeing if you have any food," I answered, opening up the small doors around the room. "Just don't break anything okay," Clare said for the living room. I found multiple packages of food but nothing too appealing. I opened up the cold box and looked inside. 

          There were different containers stacked on the shelves and again nothing smelled very good. I went on my hind legs and opened another colder box. Inside I caught a whiff of something not so repulsing. I reached into the box and pulled out a small package. I easily tore it open and took a chunk out of it. I could taste the froze bits of meat and decide this was good enough for a snack. 

          I walked back into the room and Clare was back in her previous position with her hair draped over the armrest. I remained quiet as I watched her. She was intensely reading the paper bindings and made different expressions with every line. It was an intriguing display but she soon asked, "Didn't you find something?" 

"Yes," I said taking another bite out of the pale substance. She turned and sat up instantly, "That's my hot pocket!"

"Yours? I thought it was mine," I waved the "hot pocket" around teasing her. She put on a child-like pout and held out her hand. "Give it back," she said firmly yet I could hear a faint sense of playfulness and my chest bloomed with new emotions. "Mhmm I don't think I will," I teased. She smirked but it quickly dropped. She turned back to the couch, "K-keep the food, sorry," she said hesitantly. 

I quickly shoved the rest of the hot pocket in my mouth then stared at Clare. She obviously was planning something but didn't go through with it. That disappointed and perked my interest. What had she been planning to do and why didn't she do it? 

Was she still afraid of me?