Chapter 8

Kueen was very busy that day. She told her assistant to make a family day in her schedule. Not to really spend with Derek, but her children. She felt as though she was losing focus. For her, Dante and Lucas were her first priority- no matter what.

Though it was very unlike her; Kueen returned home later than she usually would. She wanted her husband to fall asleep or better yet, forget the whole dinner arrangement. At exactly one hour before midnight, Kueen left her office. Planning to reach home within that hour, so she could get the energy sleep she desperately needed.

"Good night, Jeff" she walked out of the building to see receive her car from the night security guard who had retrieved it from the building's underground parking lot.
"Night, mam" he replied with a slight bow of his head.
Safely strapping into her car, she drives off to her home.

Reaching her house, she parks her car with the many others that she shares with her husband, into the garage. Before entering the house she hangs the keys on the wall. On entering the dark and seemingly empty house she removes her shoes. When her bare feet land on the ground they come in contact with something soft that was scattered on the entire floor. Subconsciously, she makes her way to the light switch and turns lights on. With clear view if her surroundings, Kueen sees that what she was  walking on were scattered rose petals. Not red but blue rose petals. She is then surprised by Derek standing in the hall, dressed casually in a t-shirt and football shorts, with a small piece of her china a slice of cake. A slice of her favourite, blueberry cheese cake.
"Would you share this cake with me?" he asked with a small smile.
This made Kueen smile, remembering a time out of reach. A time when they were happy together, really loving each other; a time where all she wanted was to spend her whole life time with him. That smile vanished only a few seconds after it had appeared, she was knocked back into reality. Those times were long gone and she'll never be able to get them back. Now was when they weren9 truly happy together, they weren't really loving each other: she no longer wanted to spend her whole life with him by her side.
"I'm not in the mood to eat cake right now" she said taking her shoes in hand to walk away.
"I wanted us to dinner together tonight. But you didn't come in the same time as usual. Where were you tonight?" he tried to hide his true feelings of suspicion but it she could see it.
"I had an important meeting. Now I'm extremely tired, I'm going to bed" she replied.
"Please Kueen just have dinner with me. I won't ask you for sex, in fact we don't even have to talk at all. Just let us eat together like husband and wife. Please." he pleaded.
It wasn't just that Kueen was beyond hungry, it was also because a small piece of her wanted to have dinner with him: needed to have dinner with him so that, even for a little while, she could be her old self again- she could feel like they were husband and wife again; that made her agree to the dinner.
They both sat opposite the other in humane silence. Neither of them made a sound other than their utensils. There were many times when Derek wanted to say something but quickly decided against doing so, while his wife made no effort of trying to have a conversation with him.
"That was good" Kueen complimented after finishing her meal. "But that wasn't your cooking." she added.
Derek turned a darker shade "No.  I didn't cook. I ordered from your favorite restaurant. I didn't think you would have a problem"
"Oh, I don't have any problems. I just thought that you would cook. Like you used to do for me, whenever we had dinner together. Not to mention it's been awhile since I last ate the food you cook. Is all" Kueen said.
Silence remained between them a little longer before Kueen spoke up again, "Well I'm going to bed, goodnight". She got up from the chair she was sitting in and was about to walk away.
"Where is she?" Derek asked stopping Kueen in her tracks.
"Who are you talking about?" she asked turning around to face him.
"My wife" Derek hesitated.
"Derek, what's wrong with you? Don't you see me standing right here?"
"You're there physically but it's like your no longer emotionally attached to me, to our marriage" he said. Now looking her in the eyes "So I'm asking you where is the woman I married? Where is the woman I fell in love with and still in love with, Kueen? Cause I know you're not her" Derek questioned.
"Derek please not now. We just had a peaceful dinner together like you wanted and now you are trying to destroy the tranquil state of mind I am in." Kueen display true signs of her exhaustion by massaging the bridge of her nose. "You know what,you try figuring out what happened to your wife. While your at it figure out out what happened to my husband, the man I fell in love with and married, the father of my children. I am going to bed. Goodnight" with that Kueen walked away from her husband to catch up on the rest she needed for her body and mind to work.

-----_____

Word count: 938 words

Sorry for the long wait.
Please vote and comment your opinions(in a respective way).