Part 19: The Last Straw

You glared at Luke as he held a frozen bag of peas up to his face. There was silence between the two of you, but from your expressions and body language, a lot was being said. It was extremely early and you were too tired to deal with his shenanigans. Yet here you were now sitting in his living room with crossed arms and a scowl. Luke looked almost vulnerable. His eyes downcast, lip busted, and eye turning black and blue as he tried to stop the swelling. It had been a whirlwind of a day and your eyes were practically bloodshot from how little sleep you had gotten. Never in your life had you thought you'd bail someone out of jail. Let alone the father of your child. The minute Luke had rounded the corner with a cop following behind him, you wanted to cry. He reeked of alcohol, and was covered in dried blood. He didn't even look at you. All he did was mumbled out a thank you and made his way to the car.

The silence was starting to become unbearable and soon you finally decided to speak up. "Are you going to tell me what happened?" you questioned, lips pursing and face softening once Luke looked up and gave you a mix of an innocent and defeated look.

"Just went out for a drink," Luke replied in monotone.

"No you see if you had just went out for a drink, you would have been home in bed by eleven...twelve the latest. Not three fucking days. Not three days and a phone call asking me to bail you out of jail." You said all this through gritted teeth, trying to keep your voice low in order to not wake up Raine or any of the guys that had stayed there to help you while he was gone. "Life happens. Shit happens and you can't just drop everything and get shitfaced because things don't go your way," you told him.

"Everything is pointless...life is pointless," Luke mumbled, breaking eye contact. The minute you had said Scott was the father, Luke felt like the world was ending. He was starting to realize you could never be his, not fully. Not if you were carrying another man's child.

"What are you on about?" you spat, rolling your eyes at him. Luke shot you a glare and then shook his head.

"It doesn't matter," he sighed, slumping back in his spot and scratching at the top of his head. Luke's tongue poked out to lick at his bottom lip. He had done a lot of thinking during the few hours he had spent in jail and in order for Luke to recover from this he came down to one conclusion. "I love you Y/N, but I can't raise another man's child. I know it's shitty of me to be selfish about it, but this situation-this is all fucked. I love you, I really do, but I love Raine more. I'd do anything for my baby girl even if that means I have to give up on loving her mother because I can't go through this hurt and pain anymore." Luke's words made a guilty feeling seep down your spine. "You play these fucking mind games and then act like the victim when nothing goes your way." Luke was tired of holding his tongue. He had put up with everything you've done because he loved you. He loved you so much that he was going to call you out on your shit.

"Luke-" you croaked, not wanting this to be the end.

"Let me finish, Y/N," Luke interjected. He sat the bag of peas down and then sat up straight to look you in the eye. "We need a break. Some real time apart until you figure out what you want in life. So call me if it has anything to do with Raine. If it's about anything else, I don't want to hear about it. You can sleep here tonight, but tomorrow I need you gone." Luke had said his peace and you watched dumbfounded as he grabbed the frozen bag of peas and retreated to Raine's room. You hadn't realized how much your actions were affecting Luke until now. Feeling slightly offended at what he had said, but mainly distraught at the fact that the two of you had basically just broken up. You sucked in a deep breath to calm your nerves. Your bottom lip beginning to wobble as your emotions took over. You bit down on your bottom lip to stop yourself from crying out. You were the one who had gotten yourself into this situation and should own up to it.