She's Not Safe

The blackness of night overwhelmed Tara with the small moon and her headlights the only things cutting through the dark. A small sliver of shining silver hanging amongst the dim stars was intermittently being covered and exposed by the immense dark clouds. It was the perfect Halloween night, the bare and hunched trees whose empty branches seemed to beckon to Tara casting shadows onto the derelict road she drove on.  

After driving for several minutes deeper and deeper into the abandoned countryside, Tara’s gas ran out, leaving her to walk the remaining few miles to her father’s small cottage in the woods. The cold November air had her pulling her thin jacket tight around her slender body, but the late autumn breeze still bit into her skin, making her wish she had remembered her thicker coat. As the wind blew through her thin covering, Tara shivered and her teeth began to chatter.

A quiet rustling sound perked up her numb ears and made her whip her head around to search for the danger, irrationally looking for the source of her childhood nightmares- sinister men preying on innocent girls. Her eyes probing through the uninterrupted blackness, a pair of beady eyes peering from over a thick bush caused her to scream bloody murder as she ran for her life.

Tara never made it to her father’s.