One Cold Night

Misty sat on the bench outside the Pokemon Center in Cerulean City, admiring the festive lights surrounding it, and watched the small specks of snow fall onto the earth. She then saw a small boy walking into the Pokemon center, a small Pichu trailing him.

"Mommy! Mommy! Can Pichu and I get hot cocoa? Please, Mommy? Please?"

The boy's mother smiled and nodded, and the boy jumped up in joy. The Pichu mimicked him, and Misty giggled at the sight.

"I should probably get some too," she said, suppressing a shiver. She got up off the bench and walked over to the Pokemon Center, leaving footprints in her trail.

"Hello, and welcome to the Pokemon Center. How can I help you?" an all too happy Nurse Joy asked her.

"Hi," Misty chirped. "Can I get some hot cocoa?"

"Sure." Nurse Joy then walked over to a small machine in what looked like a back room, but due to the lack of a door, Misty could still see her. Nurse Joy pressed a button, and Misty could soon see her walking over, carrying her cup of hot cocoa. "That'll be $0.75."

Misty reached into her jacket pocket to find that she had no spare change. She reached into the other pocket frantically, desperately trying to find some coins. She really wanted that hot cocoa. She smiled at Nurse Joy, who was looking at her quite worryingly. Misty knocked someone with her elbow in her haste to find some spare change.

"Oh, sorry," she muttered.

"It's okay. I'll take a hot cocoa, Nurse Joy, and I'll pay for both mine and hers," the voice said, now standing next to Misty.

Misty froze. She recognized that voice, as if she could ever forget it. Before she knew it, she had wrapped her arms around the person standing next to her, and an all too familiar Pikachu was now on her shoulder.

"Ash! It's you! What are you doing in Cerulean? Why didn't you tell me? You haven't even sent me a letter in 2 months, you dope!"

"Misty, we're best friends! I just had to visit you! I was actually on my way to the Gym, but I saw you here. Let's actually go outside and talk, since I haven't been in Cerulean in a while."

Misty grabbed both drinks and Ash put $1.50 on Nurse Joy's desk. They walked out and sat down on the bench that Misty was sitting at, and Pikachu jumped onto Ash's lap.

"Pika!" Pikachu cried, hugging Misty's arm.

"Aww, I missed you too Pika pal!" Misty said, smiling. She turned to Ash.

"So, what have you been doing lately? It's been 3 years since we all went our seperate ways, and you only visited me twice, called 6 times, and sent 3 letters!"

"Hehe, calm down Misty! You know me, always spending every spare minute training. You're lucky I had time to talk to you." Once Ash said those words, he wanted to shove them back in his mouth. It completely contradicted what he just said and what he meant to say. Misty's face fell, and she almost looked like she was about to cry. They had barely started talking, and it looked like Misty was going to walk away.

"Then why are you here? Shouldn't you be out and about challenging every Trainer you make eye contact with?"

"I had to visit."

"Why?" Misty didn't know what Ash was going to say, and she wouldn't be surprised if he walked away.

Because I couldn't stand being away from you for so long... he thought to himself.

"Really?" Misty whispered.

"I said that out loud?!" Ash said, surprised. She nodded.

"Then yes, what I said is true. You're my best friend Misty, you matter more to me than any Gym Badge. I just couldn't find any way to get here, and I actually did visit once last year, but you weren't here. I was really sad about it, and I promised myself I would visit you, no matter what it took," Ash said, a loving look in his eyes. He felt his heart pounding, but he didn't know why.

"Ash Ketchum," Misty said, smiling, "You are terribly dense, but you're a great best friend."

"I do what I can," he said, drinking his hot cocoa to cover up the blush that was covering his cheeks from her comment.

She laughed, and Ash knew that he wouldn't be leaving Cerulean too soon.

*******

Yes, I know $ isn't the currency of the Pokemon world, but I used it because it just made writing this easier. This is my first time writing a oneshot like this, so sorry if Ash and Misty were OOC. Please leave constructive criticism so I can improve my writing.